1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by schlairtay, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Just thought id add my two pence from my training courses i've been on. [​IMG]

They said if a child reaches point 6 they ARE ready for Y1 curriculum, do not work your way upto point 9! (course leader said point 9 is technically gifted and talented for the age and should not be handed out lightly...). Don't limit the children from accessing the curriculum by making them achieve point 9; as above poster said point 9 children recognise and order numbers to 20....this is a year 1 skill, they are ready for the framework if they know numerals to 10 - this is before point 9....
    I'll see if i can find course notes to scan in. [​IMG]

2. oooo please dont make them achieve point 9 before moving onto y1 curriculum, they will end up behind in the long run because they will be playing catchup because missed half a terms Numeracy/Literacy blocks! Alot harder to differentiate back when they were ready from point 6+ - will just make more work for you which we dont like heehee! [​IMG]

3. I was under this impression too from a training course.

4. oop yep i missed out that bit in my waffley long explanation! lol
    Definitely dont try to wait until they get point 9 (out of my reception class of 18 children last year i think i only had about 5 children score a 9 in one area..and one of those is recognised as "gifted and talented") A 6 is considered "average" for an end of reception year score...so children scoring mainly 6's or above will be ready to make a move onto Y1 curriculum (as well as having some gaps filled in from EYFS)...i have some children in my class who scored mainly 3's/4s so i know these children arent ready for Y1 curriculum yet...i think its best to just be aware of individual children and do a bit of both until you know the children better.
    9's are defintiely not given out lightly (you have to provide LOTS of evidence for a Reception child to score a 9...so definitely dont wait and try to get them all to this point before you start doing more Year 1 stuff! (you could end up waiting until the very end of Year 1! lol)

5. So to sum up children at point 6+ can start on Y1 curriculum from day 1.....any below this work them upto point 6 before starting them on Y1 work. Simples! [​IMG]

6. Phew I've finally got to the end of this thread. Been reading it on and off all day! Really useful stuff though! Thanks to hypcroft for directing me here.

Just trying to sort my groups using the profiles and was just wondering how many children people usually have per group. I know hypcroft said she (presuming you're a she lol) has 4 groups. This sounds ideal as you get through your groups once every lesson with a TA too. However I have 27 children so thats like 7 per group. I know I have at least one child that really needs one on one (autistic) so I especially don't want my lower ability group that big. It would be ok with other abilities I suppose. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or amI being too picky and ambitious to want regular teaching time with SMALL groups?
    Also for those of you who stream the phonics groups across KS1. How do you then work things such as phonics displays. I really like the idea of the talking postccards (though not liking the price) and like that some of you use these for interactive displays like sound of the week etc but obviously not all of my pupils will be doing same sound of the week.
    Thanks for any help you can offer! :)

7. Lol yep im a she! [​IMG]
    I have 3 groups of 8 and one group of 6 (LA) - worked fine for me but i know some people who have 5 groups. My LA with IEPs got 1-1 at different times of the day/week anyway so group size wasnt too bad (maybe seat autistic child by you when teaching their group for that additional guidance?)....and i found when the groups were smaller they didnt participate as much, helps to have a couple of louder children in the group to get the other ones motivated to join in...i also reccomend even numbered groups so you can pair them up [​IMG]

We dont stream our children but maybe have a phonic display taylored to each group in the area in which they are taught??? or just a general phonics display with a range of graphemes??? Then at least when the LA have seen it before when they come to learn it, or you never know they might learn off their friends when they are using the display?

8. I'm having 5 groups because I have 30 children. Last year 1 had 4 and it was too many children in a group, especially when you find many children need to be in one particular group and the numbers rise to 8/9. My TA and I will each work with 2 groups each session, and the 'spare' group will be given a directed task as part of their CP time. Therefore, every child will get CP time each lesson, and every child will get adult input/direction of some variety. Children who are on the directed CP task will be asked to share their work at the end of the session.

9. i guess groups sizes mainly depends on the size of the class...i'll have 18 in my class. I havent grouped them yet but i had the same children last year as Reception so my groups will be pretty much the same! I had 2 groups of 5 and 2 groups of 4. I think i will possibly only have 3 in my LA group for Y1 (as they needs lots of 1-1 support!)
    I think 7 is ok ..really it depends on the children so give it a go and if it doesnt work you can always change it! [​IMG]
    I quite like having 4 groups as like you said if you have a TA its easier to work out 2 groups working/2 playing at times!
    As for phonics displays, we will be starting to stream our phonics groups this year (first year we are doing this)...im going to just have 1 display with a range of graphemes/phonemes/words etc on it...that way...the children on higher letters and sounds phases will just be able to read/understand most of it....and the lower abilities will gradually get to it as they work up!
    At the moment I have left up my phonics display from last year (as im having the same children as Year 1s and i know they used the display lots to help with their writing...seems a bit pointless to take i down and replace with something very similar!) i basically have a "phonics train" (from the communicationforall website) with all of the different phonemes on...and also a "word wall" which has all of the HFWs and tricky words we have learnt so far. It has a range of simple words from phase 2/3....and also some from phase 4 (which the children still on lower phases cant read yet but they will get there and i think its good for them to see the words around them regularly!) so i dont tend to have an interactive phonics display!

10. Ah the dream of having only 18 children, I'm very jealous!

11. Wow your lucky having 18, children must benefit so much more from 1-1 contact! [​IMG] I had 30 last year (31 at one point by mistake!!!) and 30 this year which is alot - our numbers keep going up and think classes are near enough full throughout school.

Try hanging a teaching stick by the display for children to play teacher, my children liked doing this last year and the display was placed behind book corner so i guess it helps when they then turn around and want to read a book???? [​IMG]

12. Gosh this is all so helpful! At the moment I have got 5 groups but Im going to see if I can juggle things around and begin with 4. Then as you say I can always change it if it doesn't work.
    Hehe I like the playing teacher idea. Might have to get some sort of soft wand/stick. I think I've got a few boys that would just end up whacking each other otherwise lol. Your book corner sounds brill from previous posts. The last teacher left my classroom a bit bare which is a great blank canvas for me but I want it to be perfect already and I can only go in one more day before we start back as I don;t have my own keys. Trying to print off and laminate loads of resources and signs and imagine what it will all look like and hope my planned areas work!

13. yep i am very lucky! [​IMG] not all the classes in my school are this small/lucky! We just had a bigger reception intake last year (36 children) which meant that they couldnt all fit in one reception class like they normally do!...so the school took 2 reception classes of 18 children (hence the creation of my job and the reason that we now have 2 small Y1 classes) not sure what will happen when they get to Y2! i think the idea is that they join up into 1 large class of Y2s!
    I think they really beneift from there being less children in the class..i can give them all quite a bit of time [​IMG]
    I also did the teaching/pointy stick thing and the majority of the class played "teachers" really nicely with i..unfortunately a small group of boys decided it could be far better used as a light sabre to whack each other with [​IMG] lol...so it mysteriously "vanished" (into my cupboard!)

14. Attach it with string to the wall then they cant pull it far enough back to swing it like a lightsaber around the class but can still use it for purpose....mine get immediate warnings followed by lost golden time if catch them doing that and it soon retreated to the playground rather than inclass. Saying that mine used to throw my number beanbags like bombs the lil turds haha [​IMG] - found half of them behind my radiator over the summer!!!!!

You might be in luck with your job next year, legally in FS and KS1 class sizes must be no more than 30...goes upto 35 (i think) for KS2 [​IMG]

15. ahhh attaching it to the wall might be a good idea! [​IMG] i will give it a go!
    It's surprising the things you find hidden behind radiators/under cupboards etc at the end of the year isn't it!! Back in September last year my class went through a phase of having treasure hunts with anything and everything they could get their hands on!! It's only in the last few weeks i have randomly discovered odd bits and bobs hidden in unusual places! lol[​IMG] lol)
    not so sure about the job next year [​IMG]...i think the plan is to have a large class of Y2 (probably 30 of them) and then the 6 left over would either mix in with Y1 or Y3! Will have to wait and see!
    Is it only 35 in KS2? As in september our Year 6 class will have 36! (i think it might be 40 in ks2??)

16. oh wow thats alot, i just asked my mum but she retired 3 years ago and its probably changed!

Haha treasure hunts, not had that one yet! good idea for outdoor play though! We used to borrow small world kits from our LEA library, they cost £250 each...my children decided to hide the pieces out of these sets all over the joint (or 'borrow' them for their tray or take them out at playtime and forget where they left them!!!) which wasnt good when i come to returning them!!!! Do you find you spent your time picking up pieces/organising at the end of the day? Even though we have long tidy up times the place is still never properly tidy, much to the annoyance of the cleaners... [​IMG]

17. the boys in my class also had a tendancy for "borrowing" lego men and storing them in their trays/taking them home! (only to be marched back into school the following morning by mums sheepishly handing them back to me! lol)
    Yep i find i spend lots of time tidying up after school...even though we spend ages doing it throughout the day! I have to say that my class aren't the best at tidying up and its something i am really going to make them try harder with this year! I have a little mini group of super tidy uppers...a group who wander about and might pick up one or two things..and a group who never help and either try and carry on playing or use it as an opportunity to mess about on the carpet! [​IMG] I am really going to drum into them in september that we ALL help tidy up! and im going to try out using a tidy up timer on the IWB to speed them up as even the ones who do a good job take ages!!
    I think im a bit fussy as i always find myself pottering about after school tidying up random things!

18. Haha my class is identical!!! Glad its not just me!!!!! I tried a tidy-up time chart last year, all their names were on a laminated sheet on WB, when i saw them tidying up they got a tick next to their name - poorer tidyup'ers i'd give for picking up minimal amounts as it would be an achievement and the best tidyup'ers for spotless tidying and taking initiative etc (e.g. putting lids on things...the bane of my life!). At the end of the week the person with the most ticks got a prize from my mystery bag - once the boys saw some ben 10 prizes being handed out there was an improvement....
    Im going to try the magic spot idea i read on one of the threads next year!

19. i'm also very glad it's not just me with a class like this!! [​IMG] oooh i might try the chart and prizes! i think i have some children (especially boys!) who would be quite motivated by a prize!
    What's the "magic spot" idea?
    I've been reading on here somewhere about a "secret person" to improve behavior. e.g if theyre not good at lining up/walking nicely to assemblies etc you tell them you have chosen a "secret walker" (could draw a name out of a bag etc)...you're not going to tell them who it is but you will be watching that person all the way to assembly and back to see if they are lining up and walking nicely! They wont know if its them so they all have to try really hard!! and then if the secret walker does indeed walk nicely..they can get a sticker/team point/little prize etc.Can apparently work for anything ...secret listener/worker/tidy upper/helper etc! I might give it a go as lots of people said it works really well!

20. Oo yeah i heard the secret person idea too, will be using that in assemblies as my class have never sat in one before! Magic spot is the same principle really, tell the children that their is a magic spot that needs tidying that you have chosen, if a child tidies that spot then they get the reward. Spot can be anything from a piece of paper on the floor, lid off glue (!!!!!! [​IMG] ), chair tucked in etc .