1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by schlairtay, Aug 4, 2009.

1. *across the corner* lol

2. jmb

jmb

We have been working in this way since last Spring across the primary age range. Still feeling our way! I am going to teach year 1 after being in year 6 last year so I would be very grateful if you could email me a copy of how you plan. Our planning seems to take ages and lots of paper.
    Janette.bilson@gmail.com
    Thanks and good luck for your new term

3. Hello - I am both new to the forum and Y1... I taught Y1 in one of my PGCE placements last year, but what the children were doing followed the much more formal 'input-group activity-plenary' model; there was no choosing and no apparent transition.
    Next year my head would like me to do transition from EYFS with my class, and having never seen any (transition lessons... or in sadly even many EYFS lessons) I am very interested in what has been written so far - I have found lots of very interesting ideas! So thank you for to everyone who has shared their ideas.
    I wondered if you could also send me an outline of your plans hpycroft - I would be really grateful as a total beginner to transition!
    Thank you - [​IMG]
    Kate

4. No probs, send me your email and i'll foward a sample of Literacy and Numeracy Planning (these are from the framework because its statutory so we tend to do as a stand alone subject) and a sample of a topic plan - taken from QCA but as said before we are trialing child initiated this year so plans will be done week by week and much more focused around the areas of provision - once i get the school format for that im sure i can share that too. [​IMG]

5. Hypcroft
    Thank you for everything you shared about transitiion to Y1. It was extremely helpful reading all the threads.
    I taught Y1 3 years ago but in the formal way. I am back in Y1 and would like to teach the transition way. I have written down so many ideas. My head is full of info but will take some time next week to come up with some plans/ideas.
    Bit sad really - thinking about school and at 1am in the morning. Got to be more to life.
    Anyway thanks once again. You have been extremely helpful.
    Jafiavi

6. lovely

lovely Occasional commenter

This thread is a godsend...
    hpycroft - i'd really appreicate an example of your afternoon planning as it is causing me a real headache. Ive been told that i can alter the existing planning format, but not sure where to start. My email is simonairey@yahoo.co.uk

7. Uploaded a sample of planning to the resources section, see my above post [​IMG]. We grouped together QCA units that fitted into a theme (e.g. see 'all about me' plan i uploaded).

8. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hi everyone, I've been away from the thread for a while, but it is so great to come back to EVEN MORE help and support. Thank you. I am rapidly reading through the EYFS book and jotting down things that I don't understand - year 1 and foundation are completely new to me. Something I wondered is, are the 13 assessment scales from the early learning goals the same as the foundation stage profile - is this how you monitor 'levels' as you would with national curriculum levelling, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick! thank you :)

9. can i just say how helpful this thread has been. last year i was an nqt in a yr1/2 class and had this very formal. after reading many books on transition i have spent the holidays (i know im crazy) getting everything sorted and have finally finished. Hpycroft all your information has been great and i kept thinking to myself how simular our ideas are. i have just had a look at you planning you posted and couldnt believe that we were thinking along the same lines with teh topic name and the qca topics you are covering. with all those i also added around our school and also going to get the children to make a picture timeline of what they were like as a baby and growing up.
    i have 7 different areas in the class for the children to choose from while myself and TA doing work with a group each. i had this up and running in teh last week and showed the new class who were very happy to see different areas. i thnk the key point is to try and keep things simular to teh children for at least a term for them to settle better.

10. Hi I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this link. I am an NQT and have a year one class in September. I have a class of 30 and I have TA in the mornings but no support in the afternoons. During my PGCE we did not get much information about the transition period from Foundation to Year one but I was planning on make my classroom similar to the foundation stage. Reading your messages has really reassures me that I was thinking along the right lines so thanks for all your great ideas. The only thing I am worried about is having a bare classroom!!! Do you find that you have to buy a lot of things for your classroom yourselves? I have seen so many nice things for my classroom over the summer...big cushions, drapes etc but I am totally broke.

Thanks.

11. Ive not gone crazy buying things over summer, got an igloo tent, some kits to develop fine motor skills and a bit of storage and thats it :eek:) - your classroom wont be bare when 30 children are in it so dont worry about buying extras unless you really want to [​IMG]

12. tick/star/smileyface

Just thought I would up this - if anyone can help :)

13. so far i havent gone mad buying things for my class (am in the process of buying a house so really can't afford it!!) but over the past year i have bought quite a few things (mainly storage, the odd book, and just those random objects you see whilst shopping that no-one else can find a use for except a teacher who thinks "ooohhhh!!...i could do with one of those!" lol [​IMG]
    I've also got quite a lot of toys from the freecycle website! definitely worth joining your local freecycle site if you havent already! So far from freecycle i have aquired a huge car playmat, popoids, duplo, puppets, megablocks, toy cars and various other bits and bobs!

tick/star/smily face: the foundation stage profile is used for assessment, it has 13 assessment scales which are taken from the early learning goals (theyre not exactly the same) each scale has 9 scale points. You use the profile scores (e.g the score out of 9 which each child got at the end of Reception) to give you an idea of level/ability...however the profile scores aren't designed to be used to work out future national curriculum levels (although most teachers probably do look at end of Reception year scores to make end of Y1 targets!) It's worth ordering a copy of the EYFS currciulum and EYFS profile if you havent already..it probably explains it all better than me! [​IMG]

14. tick/star/smileyface

thank you Lucy. I am rapidly reading the EYFS book which came in the post - it is clearing things up! I think I am having trouble getting my head around what the early learning goals are. Do they come before the EYFS? Sorry if I sound a bit like things are going in one ear and out the other! :)

15. I'm not sure if this will help or is what you are looking for but here is a little bit of an extra explanation [​IMG] Basically...the 13 assessment scales in the EYFS profile are derived from the early learning goals...so...
    If a child has an end of Reception year score of between 1-3 points in one area..they are still "working towards" completion of the early learning goals for that area.
    If they have between 4-8 points they are working within the early learning goals (so they have to have achieved points 1,2 and 3 before they can achieve any of points 4-8)
    if they achieve point 9 they are working consistently above/beyond the early learning goals (basically Year 1 level or above!)
    so if for example you looked at PSRN (maths!)- the numbers labels and counting section...
    the early learning goals for this area are:
    -say and use number names in order in familair contexts -count relaibly up to 10 everyday objects -recognise numerals 1-9 -use developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems
    So there are 4 early learning goals for this area. In the profile ..these are simply expanded for assessment purposes into 9 scale points. so the scale points are:
    1.) say some number names in familar contexts such as nursery rhymes
    2.) count reliably up to 3 objects
    3.) count reliably up to 6 objects
    4.) say number names in order
    5.) recgonise numerals 1-9
    6.) count relaibly up to 10 objects
    7.) orders numbers up to 10
    8.) use developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems
    9.) child has achievd all the early learning goals and in additon to this, can recognise, count, order, write and use numbers up to 20.
    Sorry if that looks as though ive just typed out of the books but i thought it would show better how the early learning goals relate to the profile assessment scales [​IMG]
    So basically they are very similar..the profile scores are just the early learning goals "expanded" to make it easier to assess the children! Have you got a copy of the profile handbook? As it's probably easier to look at that book now so that you can see exactly what all the scores/points mean. That way you can look and see which points the child has already achieved, and which points they still need to work on. (I think i've got it a bit easier as i taught my class as Reception last year...and am taking them up into Year 1 in September! so i already know what they have acheived/what they are yet to achieve etc!) [​IMG]
    I hope that helps a little bit, ask if you're stil struggling and i will try my best to explain!

16. tick/star/smileyface

thank you, that is fab explanation. It has been hard because it is all completely new to me and no one has had time to go through anything! Am i right in thinking that the early learning goals won't really apply to my children or shouldn't as they are year 1? They are basically the first 4 goals on the 9 point scale for they early years profile?? This might sound silly, but why are the early learning goals and profile separate when they are both the same/overlap?

once again, thank you so much for helping to clear things up, you have been very helpful :)

17. Hiya
    Yes I am sure that unless all of your class has achieved up to point 9 on the profile then they will still be working from the Early Learning Goals for some of the curriculum.
    In my next class I have 3 or 4 children out of 30 who are achieving point 8 at the most so I will be planning from the ELG's for at least the Autumn term I would think.
    On the point scale 1-3 are stepping stones and 4-9 are ELG's, well thats what I have been led to believe but don't quote me on that!
    HTH
    Em xx

18. glad it helped a little [​IMG]
    as mentioned above..it's not the first 4 scale points that are the early learning goals....the first 3 points means the child is "working towards" the early learning goals. Points 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 mean the child is working at the early learning goals..point 9 means they are above average and working beyond the EYFS (Year 1 level!)
    You will still have the majority of your Year 1 children working within the EYFS curriculum so yes it will still apply (for at least the first term)
    In my planning im going to try and show both the Early Years links and the Y1 curriculum links (as some children will have achieved highly and be ready for Y1...whereas i know for example that i have a couple of children who only achieved 4 points in certain areas..so they are really not ready for Y1 level work just yet!)
    The early learning goals and profile scale points are separate because theyre not exactly the same...for example the early learning goal for numbers labels and counting is simply " count reliably up to 10 objects"....whereas the profile splits this up further into 3 different points (counts 3 objects, counts 6 objects, counts 10 objects)
    For assessment purposes its better to have the scale points as they tell you more/give you more detail ..(for example theres quite a big difference between a child who can count 3 objects and a child who can count 10 or more)...so you need the profile points to get a better picture of what each child can do [​IMG] They do overlap...but you get a clearer picture of the childs attainment from the profile scores.
    I would focus on the profile scores of the children in your class, that way you can see where the gaps are, what they still need to work on [​IMG]