1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by schlairtay, Aug 4, 2009.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

thank you aacordu2. i will have a look. Silly question, but what does CP stand for?

2. Well if the lesson is Literacy then my focus table will be on Literacy and my TA will also take a group doing Literacy work...the other two groups are then free to choose to go into whatever area they like, some might go to the small world and develop their storytelling skills whereas another might go to the construction area and make a spaceship....continuous provision is all about that free choice, if they want to write they write if they want to read a book/make a messy model/go on the computer/make a sandcastle they do. [​IMG] They practice other skills like co-operation and turn taking in some areas which cant be taught sometimes and if they practice something already done in lessons thats a bonus - i had one group of girls who couldnt get enough of practicing addition and takeaway on whiteboards...they got reeeeally advanced at it because they did it so much.
    I have topic in the afternoon, the whole afternoon, but as i said the areas link to the topic so children can constantly be practicing skills needed during topic lessons/developing those ideas that we will be discussing in topic lessons (if they choose to).
    If i want children to use a certain area more that day, e.g. i may have put a story frame in the writing area following on from our narrative work, then i tell them before they have free choice in areas that i will be showing any work done in the 'x' area at the end of the lesson...its amazing how many children then flock to that area. [​IMG]
    Theres many different ways to do continuous provision though and im sure you can put your own stamp on it. Ive seen teachers physically teach a group Numeracy in the Numeracy area using everything from the Numeracy Area then they can apply the skills independently later...but i just cant fit a group of 8 and me in my numeracy area!!! haha [​IMG]

CP = continuous provision - im still learning all this abbreviations, APP, ELS, EAL, ESL...there were 5 NQTs in my school and we regulary looked blank in staff meetings when someone mentioned a new abbreviation lol. [​IMG]

I find tidying up an absolute pain though, children were very disrespectful with toys, leaving lids off glue, leaving areas a mess and leaving them to go to another area....i plan to be VERY hot on this next year....used to take a whole 5 mins out of a lesson doing tidyup time....ive read about a 'magic spot' idea on here which ill deffinetly be trying out!

3. Oh and i always put sentence strips in the construction area and say if you want to display a model you HAVE to write a label for it...got those boys that would happily make models all day do a bit more writing [​IMG]

4. Thanks for that link too aacordu2 - think ill be dipping into this next year! [​IMG]

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

There are some fantastic ideas on here - thank you all so much for sharing!! My mind is just swimming with questions now!!!!!
    How do you fit guided reads and phonics sessions in? Do the children just do one adult led literacy and numearcy a week?
    I was thinking of doing 3 mornings on literacy and 2 mornings on numeracy. On my literacy mornings do I still need to do a whole class numeracy input and vice versa? I'm worried I won't get through all the numeracy!
    I don't suppose anyone has a timetable of their day/week I could have a look at please?
    Thank you

6. I cant find last years timetable on my USB but a typical day was:
    9-9.30: RE/music/circle time/assembly - depending on day
    9.30-10.30: Literacy
    10.30-10.45: Phonics
    10.45-11.00: Playtime
    11.00-12.00: Numeracy
    12.00-1.10: Lunch
    1.10-2.30: Topic (and Guided Reading)
    2.30-2.45: Playtime
    2.45-3.10: Storytime/sharing time (whats been done in areas/brought in from home)
    3.15: Hometime
    (PE and ICT were during topic times and linked as best as possible to topic)

Im planning next year to leave story time with TA, its not something that only I can do so seems a waste of time me doing it! During story time i am then going to take out guided reading groups and IEP children then it doesnt eat into topic time and take up TAs time when i need her for topic. Picked that up from another local school and seemed a good idea. [​IMG]

Every child in my class does a Literacy and Numeracy activity EVERY day. I take two groups, 15 mins each and my TA does the same.
    9.30-9.45: whole class input
    9.45-10.00: group 1 with T group 2 with TA (grp 3 and 4 using CP)
    10.00-10.15: rotate so grp 3 work with T and grp 4 TA (grp 1 and 2 use CP)
    10.15-10.20: Tidy up
    10.20-10.30 Plenary
    Naturally i work with different groups on differnt days depending on how much support is needed/what the group target is...e.g. if i am focusing on vowel digraphs with a certain group that are struggling i wouldnt leave that to my TA as not been on training etc for L+S. Its exactly the same format for Numeracy too.
    I feel the children wouldnt have enough time to practice their skills if they had Lit three times a week and Numeracy twice. You wont get through all the blocks in the framework and if im not mistaken i think the Literacy and Numeracy hours are still statutory every day... [​IMG]

7. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

I cannnot express how helpful you have been hpycroft - thank you so much again! When you do your literacy/numeracy, do you do a whole class bit at the start and then within that lesson, work with small groups for 15mins or so and then that group goes and chooses a CP activity and then next group come with you for 15mins etc.? oops, just re read your post and it sounds like you have 4 groups? Sorry for all of the questions but you just seem to be a river of knowledge!

8. No problem! I love Y1 and transition so can ask away lol [​IMG]

Yeah i do a whole class input then i work with 1 group for 15 mins then they choose and i work with another group for 15 mins. My TA works with the remaining 2 groups (rotating between work and CP again). One day i might work with HA and top MA group and TA take lower MA group and LA group - then next day we swap....LA and lower MA are alot more work as they dont have as much concentration skills - their activities are far more practical based throughout the year.

9. Hi there! This is how we run Y1 in our school too and it is really great for the kids!
    Can I ask how you organise year 2 to follow on from this approach in Y1? We are continuing and hopee it is going to work well!

10. Its pretty similar but more structured towards SATS. They still have areas of continuous provision but its more if they finish their work they are allowed in the areas. Near SATS the areas dont really get used, obviously panic sets in and you dont feel justified letting them have free choice of what they learn! Im not sure if id like to take Y2 because of SATS, it contradicts the whole play based curriculum at times!

11. This thread is fantastic and so useful. As a NQT, panic has set in abotu transition for my new year 1 class, as I was not taught anything about how it duing my PGCEandmy placement in year 1 seems to have been very formal.

I really like the ideas of four split groups- did you organise these into ability based on foundation stage points? and then rotating these. Do the other children still have a literacy focus during their choice ( for example they ahve already worked with the teacher or TA)?

so many questions!! really grateful for anyhelp at all!

12. Would you believe my school didnt have transition set up at all last year, this is our 1st year trialing it and its been fab...will see what next years SATS come out like i guess to see if anythings changed!

Yep 4 ability groups based on profile scores. No they dont have to focus on Literacy in the areas after they have worked with teacher or TA...they can choose whatever they like, some choose to carry on with what they have been doing if they've been motivated and then some dont (i.e. my boys who live in the construction area). If they want to go in the roleplay area or go in the sand they can it doesnt have to be linked to what we have done on the tables. Saying that things naturally link together in Topic work as the areas are enhanced to meet the objectives of the topic.
    There are ALWAYS writing opportunities in every area so they can write if they wish too. Writing is never confined to the writing area, even in the small world area i put books relating to the small world to look at and clipboards and pencils, oh and labels to label characters, character profile sheets etc.

13. Oh and i do seperate Literacy and Numeracy groups. Literacy groups are the main groups but Numeracy have their own seperate groups, you will find some children have strengths in Literacy or Numeracy, e.g. i had a child on an IEP who was brilliant at Maths...easier to differentiate that way i found.

14. Hi hpycroft
    Can I just begin by saying thank u for sharing how you do things - this thread has been a great help and you have been really good at answering all these questions. If its not too much trouble can you just clarify some things I am not sure of? When you say you and your TA take 2 groups each for each lit and num focus - do you both teach the same thing / do the same activity (differentiated to ability) or does the TA do something different to you? Do you use the lit and num framework and if so, particularly with numeracy which seems to have so much to get through, do you have more than one learning objective per lesson (for example do you have a LO for the input, a different one for the focus activity, and perhaps another for plenary) or is that too much? (I havent used the framework before as my placement school used Hamilton) If you have very low ability children in your group what do you do if they havent finished in 15 minutes and you need to teach the next group too? Finally, when you say you do topic work in the afternoon, do you do that in much the same way as lit and num, for example the short input and then working with rotating groups?
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help us newbies!

15. I'd also like to add a big thank you for all the contributions to this thread...i'm finding it really helpful reading through all the replies! (especially thanks to hpycroft!!)
    I've just finished my NQT year teaching Reception...and am moving up to Y1 in September (so will be teaching the same class of children!) I've been planning on teaching Y1 very much how hpycroft has just described (in fact even the timings of her day are very much similar to mine!) i think the children in my class will adjust well to this way of organising Y1 (its very simialr to how i have taught them in Reception...only they didnt do a focus Lit and Num activitiy EVERY DAY and only did 1 focus per week)
    My main concern is that i dont have that much TA support...so i cant quite do the "2 groups with me, 2 with my TA" thing! I'd be interested to hear how other teachers manage this/cope with less TA time? (Last year i had an almost full time, very supportive, very experienced TA....AHHHH how i am going to miss her!!![​IMG])
    I have a small class (18 children) and a group of about 7 or 8 of them that are quite capable of working independently without adult support (in fact they have been VERY keen to do this towards the end of Reception and i encouraged it quite a bit knowing that i wouldnt have as much TA time in Sept!) so im hoping that i will be able to leave that group to have a go themselves some of the time (but am also wary of leaving them too much and not supporting the higher achievers enough! [​IMG]) Its difficult to know what to do!...but im very aware that 2 of my 4 groups in particular need LOTS of support so will undoubtedly get more of my time!
    hpycroft..can i ask how you (if you do!?) adjust the timetable as the year moves on in preparation for Y2? Do you keep your timetable like this all year (with 2 groups working 2 accessing CP) or is this just for a transition period?
    Thanks again for all the great advice in this thread! Reading this thread makes me quite look forward to moving up to year 1! [​IMG]

16. - I tend to do two different activities for my group or TAs group, my LA group were not working at the same level of the framework so couldnt plan them work from that. Occasionally they do similar work just differentiated, e.g. when we did a topic on fantasy settings the HA and MA wrote three sentences for three possible endings and the LA just did the one as a guided write on whiteboards. The work is obviously all linked to what we covered in the starter.
    -I agree there are so many objectives to get through with the framework. We were using Abacus during Autumn term and we didnt like it so swapped to doing our own plans from the framework - occasionally we cover two objectives in one lesson which my head hasnt liked in obs but i really cant see any other way of getting through it all! Oral and Mentals are taken from the learning overview - the bits they can already do in that block so i guess that covers another outcome in a block...but i dont introduce oral and mentals as a WALT. My LO always links to the activity at the tables because we do a thing called self assessment thumbs at the end of the lesson which brings us back to the LO.
    -I find that LA groups are more guided work than independent so we do finish in the 15 mins. However it does sometimes happen and im naughty and cut down the plenary to accomodate the extra time or cut out tidy up time and ask for volunteers to help tidy at playtime etc. Saying that i know dozens of teachers who struggle to fit in plenarys how they should be so i dont feel that guilty. The children get more from the 1-1 contact with me in group work.
    - Yep Topic works the same, slightly longer input depending on topic, occasionally mix up the class into their talk partners to do an experiment in science.
    [​IMG]

17. To be fair next year my TAs are shuffling around and we are putting them in the areas to support and guide learning more, we are having two new areas that will need manning by a TA - one outdoor play area and one messy play area outside the class in the open area. At times i will not have a TA to work with groups because they will be manning the areas not in the classroom - im hoping to do what you say aswell and have one independent group and one with me. I can set the HA of the 2 groups off and work with the LA group until they are ok on their own for 5 mins then return to the HA to check and support/push high achievers as needed.

lucyd84: At the beginning of the year i made the activities are more play based and lots of games whereas towards the end it got more formal. Towards the end of the year i used my writing area as an additional working table and only had one group in the areas at a time. I am going to have to adapt teaching in 1st term to allow time to observe children still working on ELGs, possibly only work with one group. Im hoping to pin down our new KS1 co-ord before sept to ask how she wants stuff or if i can have free reign [​IMG].

18. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thank you hpycroft - seeing your timetable has made things clearer!! I've been trying to find statutory guidelines for daily literacy teaching but not had much luck!! I've ended up e-mailing our literacy consultant to get her advice!!!
    Do you have topics for each half term that everything feeds into?

19. http://www.nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/150262 - Y1 Literacy Framework

Yeah i had one topic per half term (QCA) but we are trying to go towards child initiated learning and away from QCA so children will be coming up with their own topics next year like in FS2....not worked like this before though so should be interesting!

20. Hi all, this thread has been so useful, thanks all! Just a few quick questions, I am in a mixed year 1/ 2 class (NQT, starting Sept) I really want to make my classroom more like FS and plan to try to do this like hpycroft, though we don't have much space. What I was wondering is, do you have your CP areas running all year i.e. even when year 1 becomes more formal are the areas still being used? My head had told me that she expects the classroom to be very FS like up to xmas and then become more formal. When I went to visit my school the year 1 class was very formal, with just a role play area, that I didn't see being used. What do other people think??