1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by schlairtay, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Am struggling for assessment ideas for first few days back and love the idea of a booklet that children can later take home with them. Any chance of you emailing me a copy of this please/? Word best format if possible, Thanks you are a star! c.dredge@hotmail.co.uk

2. If possible and you dont mind please could I have a copy of this booklet. I was thinking about doing some assessments in the 1st week back. sheree.brock@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks in advance

3. Sorry to dissapoint I dont actually have it all electronically....its been built up in bits and put together (e.g. LEAs phonic tracker sheet, shape sheet from maths photocopy book etc)....if you were thinking of putting together something similar it wouldnt take you more than 1/2 hour...10 mins if your wizzy with a comp [​IMG]

4. These posts are really easing my nerves and helping me out lots too, thanks.
    Also, 'magic spot' sounds like a technique I saw on one of my placements and have adopted, I made it a game called 'Mystery Mess', in which I told the children I have my eye on 2 different pieces of mess around the room, and have an egg timer or countdown in which they have to replace all the resources back and pick up any waste and place it in the bin. If I spot a child picking my 'Mystery Mess' I will reward them with a sticker or 5 minutes golden time etc...
    It is amazing how spotless your classroom can be when the children are enjoying it and think there is something in it for them....
    Once again, thanks [​IMG]

5. This thread has been so useful. Approaching first day in new job as NQT and am becoming more and mroe concerned about Continuous Provision. We have decide to instigate challenges for children to complete in CP each week but I am unsure about how many of these need to be formally recorded. I know that nto everyhting needs to be recorded and there will be observations when possible. Furtherore, I am struggling to think fo a way of explain all the challenges to the children without an information overload!

Anyone have some words of wisdom for improving CP areas? Any help would be so very grateful!!!

6. Any suggestions of what you include in the areas? Do you have a science one?

7. After 2 days in yr 1 my head is spinning. How do you deal with so many ch doing so many different things. I've been putting them into groups which they stay in and can rotate on activities/areas throughout the day when they are not working with an adult. I want to record where each group works so it is fair and so all groups get to work in each area at some point and with teacher at some point. But some planned teacher led activities need mixed ability, some ability groups, some different no of children. How do i make it work???

8. elmo1, I think maybe all of that recording and making sure children go to different areas is too complicated, especially at the beginning of the year when you and the children are just getting used to everything. I basically say to the children on the carpet before I set them off, which two groups I want to be working with (they then go onto their tables) and then Iet all my other groups go one at a time to ease congestion. They choose where they want to go and for how long. If I notice someone's been in one area for a long time, I may ask them to choose another area or direct 1 group to a certain activity but I don't make it a very formal thing. After me and my TA have worked with the first two groups then they choose and I just call for the remaining groups to come and work.

If I want different children for example mixed ability, then I just call out the names of the children I want before I send them off. And you just ask for the next lot of children you want after that, or send the children in your first group to go and find a specific child for you each.
    To be honest, I feel if I am planning specific work and activities for them when they are working with me and during whole class carpet sessions, then that's the most important thing.

9. Thanks Sprinkles. I'm also worried about finding the time to read with individual ch in order to find out where they are at. We are supposed to be sending reading books home this coming week and I haven't been able to read with any children yet as they have needed plenty of adult guidence in activities so both me and my TA have been busy with groups etc. Is there any way that you can link the foundation stage profiles to the reading levels just so I can get an idea for which level to start them on even for ease of sending my TA off with a child and an appropriate book to see if this is indeed what they should be reading. I am just worried that as a young NQT if I send home unsuitable books for children parents will be straight on my back! Thanks for any help! x

10. As a new yr 1 teacher (I have not even observed in yr 1 let alone taught before!!!!) I'm struggling with the transition. I kind of know what I should be doing making it fun, gradually taking steps towards more structure but im finding it hard to put into action. I have a rather difficult class too. It's taking ages to get them all settled and listening. Even when I am picking out 'smart sitters' giving them stars, others just ignore it and carry on chatting. One boy is very angry and is constantly trying to test me and I have an autistic child who can also have big tantrums. A few keep telling me they want to go back to foundation as they had 3 rooms to roam and ridiculous amounts of resources while my class is now an extra one (they previously only had one yr 1 class) and already limited resources have had to be shared.
    For a start I think I need to have a bit more fun with them and get them engaged. Does anyone have any fun games, activities, songs your classes have really enjoyed? How have you been making it enjoyable but still structured for them? Hypcroft- you offered to send people photos of your classroom to see the different areas. Do you have any that you could share with me? Sorry I've had a bit of a hard day- just feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed. :(

11. Can I just say as a previous y5 teacher who has moved into year one this year how absolutely brilliant this thread has been, I v spent all summer frantically creating resources, fretting and getting myself all worked up over it. It's been hard as iv never done continuous provision before. I think iv got my head around the planning and movement around groups and you have all saved my life ! Just a few quick questions

1) Read, write inc if anyone has any experience of it. We are doing training quite soon and I am worried how this will impact upon a year one class?
    2) I have a small LA group who will still need to access the ELG. How do you manage this alongside the NC? Do you put seperate objectives on the plans?

3) What happens with Handwriting? Any ideas? Do you teach is stand alone. alongside L&S (this will go when Read write inc takes over) or as part of your group work? How often do you do it?

Final one !! Outdoor provision- any ideas very grateful. I have daily access to an outdoor area I share with reception, however I only have one TA. Cannot allow the children outside alone. Any ideas of experience of good lessons outdoors?

Elmo 1- In response to your reading book dilemma- I was lucky enough to have books sent up from reception class- do you have any record of the books the ch were on previous? I do guided reading in the afternoon and my TA does 2 group sduring assembly. All the children have the same book - from the same book band level as their home reading book and it is very easy to assess . They all then take the same book home and progress together and you change books at least once a week, you can monitor progress-lack of it every week and fix accordingly. There are exceptions of course with the LA who I will try and here read more frequently( these are usually the ones who don't read at home at my school) . The more able books are longer anyway and therefore only need changing once a week. The children then change them in groups rather than 30 individuals !!
    I do try and mix up the reading books and add in those linked to phonics, non fiction etc realated to topic, rhymes etc. Hope this helps and is of some use.

12. Fun activities/things to do with your class - (sorry can't remember the poster who asked this...the previous one)...
    I randomly put on a High School Musical song (brought the CD for the class last year) and get up and dance - they think it's hilarious (because i can't dance) but join in very quickly.
    If I take them outside for extra play I will play with them rather than standing around - playtennis, catch, go on the monkey bars, join in with duck duck goose etc.
    I relate some of ourl lessons to childrens programmes. I.E if I had Ben 10's watch what would I do?
    I can't think what else - but I will randomyl start an activity (if attention is waining or I just feel like it) and they seem to love it and we have instantly bonded as a class.

13. elmo1, as a previous poster said, you should really have been given some records from the childrens previous class teacher. Do they also have reading record books that go home with their reading book with the name of the current book written in so parents etc can write comments once they've heard the child read. In our school these are handed up to the next class whenever possible. If you haven't got any of these, maybe ask the reception class teachers if they are around.
    From looking at my records that have come up, most of my children are on Stage 1 or 2 of Oxford Reading Tree which is the scheme we mostly use. Hope this helps a little

14. Hi Vikki.h
    We have been doing Read Write Inc for one year having started it last September after our whole school training. It is brilliant!! Massive success and progress after just one year with biggest impact being in year 1. You will get all background and how to organise it at your training. For the first year we had all the children in years 1 -4 in ability groups (11 groups) - it is all hands on deck with teachers and Tas taking different groups. We had our sessions every morning from 9-10am. This year, all KS1 will be in groups along with LA children in Yr3 & 4 (8 groups). Letter formation is taught as the children learn the sounds so I only did a separate handwriting session every now and then. We will be organising sessions like last year:
    8:45 Registartion
    8:55 - 9:55 Read Write Inc (Literacy for KS2)
    9:55 Break - they need it as session are very pacy and children are tired as they work really hard!!
    Rest of day back in own class
    Hope this is useful

15. Thank you - - so this completely takes over literacy or do you still have seperate literacy sessions to teach the framework. It's gonna have a massive impact on my school. We are starting it out as you said with all the school being involved but as it only goes up to level 2a I think it will develop as you said. Its good to hear positive praise for a scheme for once!!!!

16. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Can anyone advise - what did you do on the first few days back??

17. Yes, Read Write Inc is our literacy session for the day. We have adapted the writing tasks though (told by our trainer to) as they are very prescriptive and only cover fiction objectives. As the RWI manager/Literacy co-ordinator I prepared plan/ideas/resources for TAs to deliver linked to each book. This took a long time but was worth it. Teachers obviously planned own writing ideas.
    We also do a topic based curriculum, so some genres of writing are also taught as part of topic lessons. We don't do guided reading but have daily reading times in our classes and some teachers do group/guided sessions with some children if they need to go over particular concept.
    The main advice I can give is for everyone to be positive about it and keep going, even during the first term as it is hard work but worth it!

18. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

I hope everyone's had a good first week back. i've got a lovely class, but they are just so young and are finding it very hard to sit and listen. I genuinely don't think it is behaviour, but there is still talking and getting up when we are on the carpet. Obviously I don't carry on talking when this happens, but I am running out of ideas! Any tried and tested successful ideas to help with this?

Thank you!

19. My class are like this as well. I do a lot of movement on the carpet - so as soon as I notice any fidgiting we all get up and do some exercises on the spot for a few minutes. This tends to help. The talking I am quite firm on and I reward the children who put thier hands up and who are sat listening, and I give warnings to the ones who are not. The ones who continue to talk end up having a few minutes on the carpet at choosing or play time. This seems to be working well and the talking is getting less and less. I have also have 1 or 2 who really can't sit for more than 2 minutes. I choose these 2 to go and do me random jobs, e.g turn out the lights, pull the curtains, fetch me a pencil. Whether I need them or not, it gets them up and moving but they are still listening and not distracting the others!