1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 transition and progress

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Jul 28, 2011.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi guys, I would be really interested in your opinions on thsi one! My HT is keen to introduce more play in Y1. However, she wants this as play based directed activities linked to the LO rather than free flow. The way she described this to me is I teach the lesson as per normal, I have one group for a focus activity with me whilst the rest of the class rotaes around 'learning stations', all linked to the LO and supported by the TA. I then rotate the groups every 15 mins and take a new focus group.
    Having been in a 'Notive to imoprove' school , the emphasis was on progress from all children.Whhilst I know that the children will make progress during their focuc activity with myself, I am concerned that the children rotating around the 'learning stations' will not be challenged/supported enough to ensure progression from all, as these activities will be the same for the whole class. Am I making sense? I think chaning the activities at each station to accomadate the more able /less able will be too time consuming during the lesson. Also I am concerned that thinking of activities that are linked to the LO and fit into the areas of learning might be difficult.

Has anyone worked in this way or similair to this before? I would be really interested to know what has worked well for you?
    Thanks
    Claire

2. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi guys, I would be really interested in your opinions on thsi one! My HT is keen to introduce more play in Y1. However, she wants this as play based directed activities linked to the LO rather than free flow. The way she described this to me is I teach the lesson as per normal, I have one group for a focus activity with me whilst the rest of the class rotaes around 'learning stations', all linked to the LO and supported by the TA. I then rotate the groups every 15 mins and take a new focus group.
    Having been in a 'Notive to imoprove' school , the emphasis was on progress from all children.Whhilst I know that the children will make progress during their focuc activity with myself, I am concerned that the children rotating around the 'learning stations' will not be challenged/supported enough to ensure progression from all, as these activities will be the same for the whole class. Am I making sense? I think chaning the activities at each station to accomadate the more able /less able will be too time consuming during the lesson. Also I am concerned that thinking of activities that are linked to the LO and fit into the areas of learning might be difficult.

Has anyone worked in this way or similair to this before? I would be really interested to know what has worked well for you?
    Thanks
    Claire

3. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

If you focus the specific LO-related progress on your whole class and guided focus session then all shd make progress. THe other activities should help the children to consolidate their skills independently, to explore new ideas / learning and pre-learn topics by gaining experience of things before you teach them. Don't get caught up every child making some progress at every play-based activity but ensure that your children make progress in the lesson overall and that the other activities have a clear purpose (not just occupying some of chn while you work with a group).

4. skellig1182

skellig1182 Occasional commenter

I used to do this setting mainly when we were doing Capacity or something practical which involved no recording - meaning i could see if they achieved the LO.
    However, 80% of lessons/LO's were done as whole class where every child worked on the same LO during one lesson.
    I think after the first term (based on EYFS setting) it's good to get them ready for year 2. The children did extremely well this year.
    Goodluck!