1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Traditional tales- Phase 2????!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Jan 15, 2011.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

"Discuss imilairities and differences, for example in types of characters, story language, happy endings."
    Can you please tell me how you taught this- I dont want to just spurt information at the children!

2. Look at two or three traditional tales. Identify the characters, the beginning middle and end (so the children see it is a happy ending), look at the language used (once upon a time..). Then compare them.
    Might be a very simplistic view of what is being asked but it would make sense...
    JSY x

3. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Thanks guys for your replies. Paperchase I am afraid I am not very familiar with Writer-talk games, could you please tell me what 'Tell me about…’ and ‘Painting a picture’ are?

4. tell me more helps to develop a character using the phrase................"tell me more about.....", with children working in pairs. One child begins to talk about a character and the other child would then pick up on something they have said - and say tell me more about...............to expand, giving more detail and depth to the character. In my class of year 2s, it had to be modelled lots and lots and I gave them question stems (ideas for questions e.g. tell me more about where they live/tell me more about their family, tell me more about what they look like/tell me more about what they like to do etc, to help them with the sorts of questions they should be asking, but it has really helped children to develop better characters and plots in their writing:
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/155809

Painting the picture helps to develop setting, working in pairs, with one child describing in detail the setting of their story, using the words "you can see.................", then introduce something to develop next part of story ........ tension/problem/excitment
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/155868
    have a look on lans grid for learning and devon....................they have lots of great talk for writing resources and explanaitons