1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 topics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by twizzie, Oct 23, 2007.

1. I planned my overview for the year over the summer but now I'm having second thoughts, please let me know what you think or what you do.

I tried to link topics as much as possible so I've just done Ourselves adn self portraits which went quite well together. I'm going to do toys next half term and had decided to do moving pictures and light and dark. Now I'm wondering if I should do materials in science but that links to investigating materials in art so I'd have to change my art/DT too. Or I could do pushes and pulls for science.

Help! I've thought about it so much I can't think clearly any more!

2. I planned my overview for the year over the summer but now I'm having second thoughts, please let me know what you think or what you do.

I tried to link topics as much as possible so I've just done Ourselves adn self portraits which went quite well together. I'm going to do toys next half term and had decided to do moving pictures and light and dark. Now I'm wondering if I should do materials in science but that links to investigating materials in art so I'd have to change my art/DT too. Or I could do pushes and pulls for science.

Help! I've thought about it so much I can't think clearly any more!

3. Rin

Rin

This is my year 1 overview
    Autumn 1 - Ourselves
    Autumn 2 - Light and Dark
    Spring 1 - Toys (post Christmas so lots of ideas)
    Spring 2 - Plants
    Summer 1 - Homes
    Summer 2 - Holidays
    I find although some of them are quite dull they fit well with the genres to cover in literacy and science. Would love to jazz it up next year though with topics like pirates, dinosaurs etc.

4. would love to chat with you ladies as i am deciding now.Think i may do toys next as nice leading upto christmas then light and dark after christmas

5. babyjeebus

babyjeebus New commenter

Autumn 1 - 5 Alive (Ourselves and Fruits)
    Autumn 2 - Celebrations
    Spring 1 - Fairy Tales
    Spring 2 - Spring into Spring
    Summer 1 - Home Sweet Home
    Summer 2 - Buckets and Spades (Holidays)

6. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Those sound fab Baby Jeebus - how did you sort out objectives etc. for the year and making sure everythign is covered? I was supposed to do topics this time but finding it soooo hard to make links between the QCA units and not enough time to cover it all.

Thanks

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Autumn I - wheels, wheels, wheels (includes Science - push and pull, and DT - axles)

Autumn II - Light and Dark (includes Science, history - Guy Fawkes, and DT - moving pictures)

Spring I - Hats (includes art and science - investigating and exploring materials)

Spring II - 3 little pigs (includes science - growing things, geog - local area, history - how homes have changed)

Summer 1 - Islands (includes geography)

Summer II - 5 Senses (includes history - Louis Braille, and Art - self portraits).

There might be other subject links that I've forgotten.

8. Thanks for your replies and ideas. I think I'm going to stick with toys, light and dark and moving pictures/toys (maybe design a moving Christmas card).
    Spring 1 - Materials (science and art, link to literacy 3 pigs)
    Spring 2 - Homes (& pushes and pulls)
    Summer 1 - Local area (& sounds and hearing)
    Summer 2 - Plants and fruit

I wish the qca units would link together easier, very helpful for when your stuck but can be a bit restrictive.

cariad2 - I like the idea of your hats topic, makes things more interesting if there's a purpose. What do you do for that? Also like the idea of linking Guy Fawkes to Light and dark.

Thanks.

9. halftermheaven

halftermheaven New commenter

I find that materials in art does not actually go too well with materials in science. They are toally different. I do homes in DT with materials in science because the science is all about translucent windows, waterproof garden furniture, hard bricks etc They work really well together.

10. firecracker

firecracker New commenter

mine for this next half term
    History - toys
    Dt - puppets
    Science - materials
    RE - gifts and giving

they all fit nicely together, unlike some of our other topics !!
    fc

11. Thanks for that. Think I'll swap my science so I'm doing materials in science when I do homes. I won't have many links after Christmas - pushes and pulls, materials (art) and around our school but can't be helped.

12. we have dropped the QCA and subjects (eeek) and this term we are doing Fire! Lots taken from the Hamilton toipcs which Im finding quite good!