1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 1 timetable

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JCBH, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Thank you. It is v interesting to see different approaches. It prompts more questions though - sorry! if you have time... When do you do your Maths input? how do you get on with 10 mins of English input - I am not sure I could condense mine down that much and... what kind of activities do you do in Team Challenge?

I would like to set up Weekly Challenges with a variety of cross curricular activities to encourage independence, so perhaps yours is similar? I like the idea of a team approach.

Thanks again.

2. Thank you - my email address is joanna@jcbyford.com

3. Thank you!

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Hi
    I don't do a maths input becasue children tend to be working on different things, today for example one group was counting in 2's, one group was counting by grouping into 2's, 5's and 10's, two groups were working on 1 more than and 1 group was working on number recognition! At the moment all maths groups are adult led and introduced so they get an input then.
    I do struggle sometimes with English to fit in just 10 minutes and it does extend to 15 minutes sometimes, but never beyond that.
    Team challenges - they work with different children each week and have challenges such as 'How high off the floor can you get the orange?' - build the highest free standing structure that will support an orange, teams of 4 and all they can use is newspaper, 12 artstraws, masking tape, on piece of A4 paper, scissors and an orange. We make it clear that no adults will help with ideas, they can have no more resources! When we first started doing this I explained it was ok if they didn't manage the challenge as long as they gave it their best shot and didn't give up. Things they learn can be used in the next challenge. We award 'stars' for the best teamwork, any team who completed the challenge successfully, most creative team (even if tehy didn't achieve the challenge). We alos spend time at the end looking at the structures and discussing/evaluating.
    In my areas of CP I put out challenges too that need to be completed during the week, 2 linked to maths, 2 li nked to english and 2 topic based. So for example this week they are
    English - 'Choose a pirate and write a speech or thought bubble for them' 'Write instructions to find the treasure'
    Maths - 'Use the images(linked to pirates) to build a blockgraph. Write some questions that your friend can answer' 'How much money is in each treasure chest?'
    Topic - Sand tray 'Design a treasure island and then make it' - they had design sheets, wet sand, twigs, shells etc. ICT - Draw your own treasure island beebot mat (we'll use tehse next week in ICT)