1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 teacing adding a multiple of ten and a teen number?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocciemad, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, my children are struggling with this and I am wondreing what ways others have taught this and possible teaching strategies?
    Many Thanks

2. Hi everyone, my children are struggling with this and I am wondreing what ways others have taught this and possible teaching strategies?
    Many Thanks

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Heck, my son is struggling with adding two single digit numbers and he's in year 1. Tried doing 6 add 6 and ran out of fingers!!
    Look at using cuisenaire rods or similar apparatus. Make it practical.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Sorry I am not a primary maths teacher - older age group. But with my own children the sequence of understanding has worked like this.
    Counting in tens - 10, 20, 30, 40 etc - forwards and backwards, from any starting point. Seeing this on a 100 square and in practical situation - those plastic counting teddies etc
    Then being able to count on 21, 31, 41 etc - and seeing on a number square that these are ten apart and beneath each other in the columns
    I'm presuming there are some good interactive white board resources for the above, and children can also do it for themselves with there own 100 number squares. They can "discover" for themselves that each time they add ten by counting on ten they end up one row down in the same column - and same for subtracting 10. And they can use the number square to help them chant counting on in tens for things like 44, 54, 64 etc
    At the same time developing an understanding of tens and units ....... practical and written ways - ten pence and one pence coins, lots of splitting numbers into tens and units and explaining what each digit is worth
    Then they will have two ways of adding 15 plus 30 for example - they will either count on 25, 35, 45, or they will see it as 3 in the tens worth 30 plus 1 in the tens worth 10 which adds to 40, plus 5 plus 0 in the units, so a total of 45.
    So as I see it, at the point that they are ready to add a multiple of ten to a teen number, they would in fact have sufficient understanding to add two 2 digit numbers - maybe starting with ones where the units add to 9 or less.
    Sorry hope this makes some kind of vague sense

5. I am a Year 1 teacher and, apart from using cubes to addnumbers together, I ask children to put the larger number in their heads and to then hold up fingers representing the 2nd number and count on. For example, with 7+9, the children put 9 in their heads, hold up 7 fingers and then use their fingers to count on from 9, folding down each finger as it is counted.