1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 teaching in 30 mins?!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by freespirit, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I've been asked to teach a Year 1 class as part of an interview selection process, I have to say I am feeling a little intimidated as hmmm....I haven't actually taught a class of 30 year 1's without support in this kind of situation before. I was told explicitly there would be no TA, so I am thinking there is a reason for asking me to work out of my comfort zone.
    I know they are likely to be looking for behaviour management strategies and obviously quality of teaching. They've said I can teach "cross-curricular" which I translate to be - anything you want within the breadth of the curriculum - but can anyone give me any insight to the particular challenges of this age group or what they are really looking for?

2. During most observations as part of an interview, they are looking for how you are able to manage the class positively, build relationships with the children and your interactions with them. They will want to see the children making progress too. Make sure you plan an activity that is multi-sensory, engaging and something you are confident doing. Have a think of activities/lessons that have worked really well before. Hope that helps, good luck [​IMG]

3. Ooh forgot to say, in most interview situations, a TA isn't there to support. They need to see you handling the class without any support. In many schools there isn't a TA for every class so you may be on your own most of the time whilst teaching.

4. Hi, how did you get on? I have been asked to do something similar just wondered if you had any ideas or tips?

Thanks