1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 - supporting writing any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by star17, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Hello
    I am an NQT in Year 1. At the moment I am trying to get some of my children to write a sentence to describe a picture from a book we have been learning about. These children are able to think of a sentence and are able to make a phonetically plausible attempt at most words but lose concentration really easily and need encouragement to write and use their sounds so writing that sentence can take a while!
    I'm not confident that I'm necessarily supporting them in the right way. Would you normally model a sentence, getting them to help sound out the words etc, write it and get them to copy and then get them to write their own or am I on the wrong track? I have sound mats and capital letter strips out to help them, is there anything else you would recommend? I find mine are more motivated when writing on mini whiteboards - anybody else find anything motivating that seems to work for sentence writing?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Hello
    I am an NQT in Year 1. At the moment I am trying to get some of my children to write a sentence to describe a picture from a book we have been learning about. These children are able to think of a sentence and are able to make a phonetically plausible attempt at most words but lose concentration really easily and need encouragement to write and use their sounds so writing that sentence can take a while!
    I'm not confident that I'm necessarily supporting them in the right way. Would you normally model a sentence, getting them to help sound out the words etc, write it and get them to copy and then get them to write their own or am I on the wrong track? I have sound mats and capital letter strips out to help them, is there anything else you would recommend? I find mine are more motivated when writing on mini whiteboards - anybody else find anything motivating that seems to work for sentence writing?
    Thanks [​IMG]

3. Is it that they forget the sentence or just that they cant be bothered.
    I use speach bubbles that record the children saying their sentence to help with recolection. They came from TTS and were about £24 for 14.
    I also get the chn to say their sentence and count out one unifix cube for each word, as they wrtite their word they can turn the 'used' unifix into a tower.
    I dont usually get my class to copy my sentence as sometimes by the time they have copied they've just about had it.
    We have a sentence checklist on the working wall with pictures to prompt:
    Think- think about what you want to say
    Say- say your sentence
    count-count the words in your sentence
    write- write your sentence, sounding out each word
    read- read the sentence to check that it makes sense.

4. Thank you very much for the ideas.

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

I find my class write better if they see a reason/purpose for that writing. Instead of writing a sentence about a picture, why not give them a purpose for writing eg write a caption for one area of the classroom to explain it to a visitor or link it to your topic eg write what your pirate found in his treasure chest.
    I also find my class write better on anything but a blank page/sheet of paper - let them use whiteboard, or post its, shaped paper, coloured paper, card........

6. I teach year 1 and with my LA groups I use cut sentence strips. They tell me the sentence they would like to write and I write this for them on a strip of paper, with the children helping to sound out the words. I then cut the sentence strip into individual words, jumble it up and get the children to stick the sentence in their books in the correct order. They can then write the sentence themselves underneath the cut out words. This helps them to practice sentence formation. I have only just started using this strategy myself but it was recommended by a reading recovery teacher so I am hoping it will work!

7. Just reread my post and realized that part isn't clear- the speech bubbles are voice recorders- they record the chn saying their sentences and can be replayed throuout writing.

Hope this makes a bit more sense

8. Thank you for the ideas. Yes I agree a more motivating purpose for writing is needed. The speech bubbles sound good I will see if I can get some ordered.

9. I love the WTSCWR approach to writing! thank you for sharing

10. I sometimes make writing into a competition, points make prizes!! The children are so enthusiastic to write (this is usually on whiteboards) they then check their partner's work and give it a mark based on the criteria, e.g. 1 point for a full stop in the right place. Also Pie Corbett is introducing a thing where you get the children to do a 'cold' write on blue paper ( I used dressing up and objects to stimulate thinking). Dont mark the work just teach them the things they need. A week later they go through their work with a highlighter and change any mistakes or errors and then rewrite their work on orange paper (hot writing).