1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 - Seaside in the past

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 3rdcrouchend, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Trying to plan a unit of work for Year 1 History - Seasides in the past. Have planned to watch Magic Grandad, look at similarities and differences. Focus on bathing costumes (cross-curricular with D&T so they can make a moving Victorian man/woman with split pins) also working together to make a questionnaire to ask a family member about their seaside trips when they were young. Any other ideas?!? Am struggling to do 6 lessons. Many Thanks

2. Trying to plan a unit of work for Year 1 History - Seasides in the past. Have planned to watch Magic Grandad, look at similarities and differences. Focus on bathing costumes (cross-curricular with D&T so they can make a moving Victorian man/woman with split pins) also working together to make a questionnaire to ask a family member about their seaside trips when they were young. Any other ideas?!? Am struggling to do 6 lessons. Many Thanks

3. Not sure where you live, but here in Bedfordshire, we found that the first 2 lessons were actually geography as the kids had NO idea about the sea-side at all. They had never been and to them, a holiday is going to Pakistan to visit family.
    We looked at LOTS of books and on Espresso they have that Lucy and Tom go to the seaside. We made a role play corner with sand and a water tray, buckets and spades etc. They also made collages and labelled them with the new vocab they learnt!
    Due to this, we have now decided as a school that children in year 2 and 5 will go to the seaside for a day in summer term.

4. toty

toty New commenter

5. I have just done this toipc. We looked at souuvenirs and children bought in souvenirs that they had bought from their holidays or people had bought them. We discussed why we buy souvenirs. Then we looked at souvenir plates (a victorian souvenir) and using paper plates we dsesigned our own souvenir plates for seaside resorts today. It incorporated weaving too. The children loved doing this activity.

6. I've just written planning for yr 2 on seasides in the past. I don't how useful it is but I'll try and upload it to resources and post the link on here.

7. https://www.tes.co.uk/resources/Resource.aspx?resourceId=6...

Hope its useful, might only keep it up there for a few days before I take it away to revise. I've also put my other history planning up there:
    Yr R Myself
    Yr R Nursery Rhymes
    Yr 1 Grace Darling
    Yr 1 Florence Nightingale
    Yr 2 Seaside in the past

8. Thanks for those ideas - love the plate thing - think they'd thoroughly enjoy that.

PS Was it just me having problems with the TES website over the weekend?!?!

9. I've already tried posting this and it didn't work. Thanks for all those ideas. Especially the plate idea - think they'll love that!

Is it just me or have other people having problems with this website over the weekend?!?

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I took in a cine film [on video] of my family on holiday in the late fifties and sixties. The kids loved seeing my father chasing me as I charged off on a runaways donkey.

Past is such a vague word that we might as well use the term 'olden days,' which is what kids called the times before their birth when I was little!