1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 science plan seems boring

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JOrchard1986, Mar 17, 2019.

1. JOrchard1986

JOrchard1986 New commenter

Hi everyone. Wednesday I am being observed teaching a science lesson for my ITT. The plan is based around the Hamilton trust plan for ice observation.

It entails predicting what will happen to the ice and observing Ice at 5 minute intervals to see the change of state.

The school is 4 form entry and all classes must follow the same plan, as a student who is only there for 6 weeks I am wary to change it.

I guess my problem is these children are year , how will I keep them engaged during the 5 minute intervals ? I think its crazy to expect 5 year olds to sit down for half an hour looking at ice.

Maybe it's because I'm new to teaching but I can't see it working.

Any advice??

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

They may be more engaged if you make ice hands, by filling rubber gloves and freezing them. Even better if you colour the water. Remove carefully from said glove and place in different parts of the room, nice if placed in cold water/ warm water. If you can film it even better, great speeded up.some cameras can be set to take a photo every so many minutes..
    I'm sure others can add .

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You can follow the plan, but still adapt it to meet the needs of your children.

As @grumbleweed says - having difference between them so they can rotate around observing them. Maybe sprinkle salt on one of them and freeze objects into the ice so there's something to try and identify as they melt.

Try not to lose sight of what it is they're meant to be learning though. Make sure that stays at the front.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I have done this activity before and yes, it is difficult keeping them occupied in between the 5 minute intervals! One thing that fills the time quite nicely is making a zig-zag book and getting them to draw a picture of the ice. So, look at ice, set timer, discuss what ice looks like, go and draw a picture. Timer goes off, go to look at ice again, reset timer; discuss what ice looks like now, go and draw a picture. Repeat until ice has melted. I had four different pieces of ice and put them in the four corners of the classroom; had the children on the carpet to discuss, and at the tables drawing. That way there was a lot of moving around, which helped to keep them engaged.

bajan likes this.
  5. JOrchard1986

Thank you. It's so helpful to speak to someone who has done the activity. Could you speak avant exactly how you structured it ?

This is how I would do it if not being observed....

Children are coming in from break to the carpet to calming music. I am going to do a little teacher talk about ice...what is ice....melting/freezing etc. Then off to the tables ....we have sheets that say " after 5 minutes I predict the ice will look like this" and then a box for them to draw a picture. And there is a box for every time up to 20 minutes.

I am torn whether to have a similar chart for pictures of the results it just a stem sentence of whether the prediction was right .

I was going to have note paper available for them to make notes of observations.

I was going to allow them to wander to other tables and see if the other tables has similar results.

Then after the 20 minutes back to the carpet to discus results and why the children think this happened. Then I was going to end with the particle role play suggested.

This is the first every science lesson I've taught so I'm a but nervous !!!

6. JOrchard1986

Thank you

Because it's a big school and they have a big push on consistency between classes I worry that I may deviate too far.

I will talk to my mentor tomorrow during PPA for their feedback.

I have planned my resources so fingers crossed all will be ok

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I imagine it's so each class isn't doing wildly different things, however as long as the learning is the same it shouldn't be a problem. The needs of the children's learning should come first.

8. Pink n Fluffy

Pink n Fluffy New commenter

I'd maybe check your LO as making predictions isn't a requirement of the KS1 working scientifically strand programme of study (it comes in KS2). There's nothing wrong with discussing it as part of the lesson but I'd be wary having this as the LO for the lesson. I'd maybe also look at the lesson as the Hamilton plan seems to focus on the changing state of water which is part of Y4 changing state programme of study. I'd just be tempted to cross reference the lesson with the science NC for Year 1 in terms of what you want the children to achieve by the end of the lesson.