1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 ready??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by steerjr01, Feb 14, 2019.

1. steerjr01

steerjr01 New commenter

Are there any other reception teachers who hate this phrase?

I really don’t understand why we are so quick to disregard the teaching in early years and focus on national curriculum.

Today I was told my children need to start writing time connectives and multiple sentences so they are ‘ready for year 1’.

How does everyone else make sure their reception cohort are year 1 ready??

Thanks in advance!

2. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

Wow thank you so much for this post. I had a very similar discussion today with HT and other staff members who said they would introduce more formal, whole class english and maths lessons into the summer term to “prepare for year 1”, and the child initiated play to be afternoons only. I have never done this before (aside from whole class guided reading in summer term) so found this interesting!

In my opinion, preparing for Year 1 is giving them plenty of transition time, discussion about how it will be in their new class, meeting new teachers and tas, extra visits for SEN/anxious children. I believe that Year 1 should be more like EY (certainly during the first term), with more formal teaching being a gradual process, though I understand the pressures from the NC can make this difficult to imagine for yr 1 teachers.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The National Curriculum for Year 1 isn't responsible for pressure on teachers. By the end of Year 1, children should be able to combine words to make a sentence, join clauses with 'and', and sequence sentences to make a short narrative. The focus is on using phonics to spell (including alternative graphemes), using finger spaces correctly, and beginning to use punctuation (capital letter, full stop, question mark, exclamation mark). In terms of writing - that's it! Any pressure is coming from schools and misunderstandings about expectations.

4. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

Very good point!

In my experience of working in three different schools, there is most certainly a pressure on reception teachers to ensure the class is “ready for year 1” in a way that seems to suggest that the early years curriculum and play-based learning means very little. It is a shame.

Gina4 and Nt31 like this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I always hated that "getting them ready" too as though the stage they were at had no value. I was so glad my own children were ready for Y1 by the end of YR and so on. Both did brilliantly academically and didn't need to be fast tracked through their childhoods

Nt31 likes this.
  6. Nt31

Nt31 New commenter

The best preparation that children of this age can have is to help them secure a good level of development. If they achieve this then that is what is expected at the end of Reception. So I would say to my Year One colleague “ By following the statutory EYFS framework and aiming for a GLD for the majority of children means they will be ready for Year One.”
    I agree with @lindenlea and dislike the idea of “getting children ready” for the next stage( whatever that may be). It assumes the stage they are at is unimportant other than to prepare them for the next stage.

lindenlea likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do I need to be ready to be elderly. No thank you. I'll be ready when I get there because I'm doing just fine at being middle aged.

8. Nt31

Nt31 New commenter

@lindenlea I don’t think most people are ever ready to be elderly. My mother in law is 93 and refers to others in the nursing home as the oldies!

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Go m-I-l I say!

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW!
    I teach in a high achieving private school with lots of pushy parent support and our reception children aren't yet doing that! A few are, but not in general.

By the end of the year, some will be but not all.

And for us, 'ready for year 1' means having achieved most or all of the ELGs and being a good and decent person who is excited by learning.

littlejackhorner likes this.