1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by plyast, May 21, 2017.

1. plyast

plyast New commenter

Hi. I'm KS1 leader and have always worked in Y2. Moving to Y1 next year and would like some advice on what other people do for reading with their Y1 class. Thank you in advance

2. CDMforever

CDMforever New commenter

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm going to be teachng Year 1

3. CDMforever

CDMforever New commenter

Oops!

I'm going to be teaching Year 1 in September after a long period out of Key Stage 1.

4. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

We do individual readers with the most able doing guided reading later in the year. At the end of the day you still need to hear and teach reading skills, this was the advice from our English local authority support.

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It really depends on what your Literacy lead and KS leader want you to do.
    We do guided reading daily with all children - 2 groups with me or my TA, other groups on independent reading, follow up tasks (leading up to independent comprehension activities by the Summer term), phonics activities etc. In my opinion the old fashioned 'carousel' that we use is fine for the more able readers and those who have good support at home. It's not so good for the lower end who don't get this support and we have to put in extra reads for them to mitigate this. I would like to explore more whole class reading approaches but my school are not receptive to it.

Kartoshka likes this.
  6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Individual and whole class reading
    We are a Big Reading school

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I do guided reading weekly, shared reading daily, and individual reading whenever I get the chance!

8. GARDEN24

GARDEN24 New commenter

I would like to do guided reAding once a week then atleast twice a week 1:1. Personaly I think early year 1 get more out of the 1:1 in the first part of the year.

9. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Do you only have 5 children in your class? How are you going to read 1:1 with your children twice a week? Obviously I would LOVE to do that, but all I manage is one group of 6 once a week. There is an intervention group for SEN and PP readers who are struggling. But that's all.