1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 RE Planning

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Mrspinkshoes, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I love teaching RE. The children love RE. I have spent the last 4 half
    terms re-planning/modernising the units, preparing resources,making a
    year group working wall etc . I don't mind doing any of it but have no idea what to do with this half-term's gem. Year 1, Summer 1 -What rules do people have for their lives? (Christian + Sikh) No
    exisiting plans anywhere that I can find. I've googled and googled. I
    don't know where to begin. I've checked our local syllabus which hasn't
    helped. I wish there was a ready made one I could tinker with. Any ideas
    or help?
    Also no way that my RE co-ordinator could cope with the thought of changing (change?-gasp!) the units of work.
    Thank you!

2. Hello, could you talk about prayer, do they have to pray a specific number of times in a specific place - how about any clothing rules or food/dietry rules or social rules pertaining to alcohol etc.

3. www.reonline.org is a good place to look since it covers lots of aspects of all the major world religions.

4. Thanks for all of your replies.

5. A late response, but you may wish to contact the Sikh Education Service on 07968 143546 for details of school visits / workshops etc.

6. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Coming to this a bit late, I fully agree with flame that the best way is to start with their own lives.

What happens if there are no rules?

What happens if people break the rules?

You may like to explore the school rules and see why they are important.

What rules do they have at home?

What rules are there in society?

How do the police and Traffic Wardens fit into this?

Think of real problems from the classroom and playground. Analyse them a bit and see what rules were not being kept or if some extra rules might help.

Talk about fairness and the value of everyone - each person being special.

This will give a good foundation. Then I think they will be able to appreciate that the religions all give us rules - as flame has stated that deal with values - what is good and bad.

Religions also bring in a sense of our relationship with God, so there are rules about how to worship God, to develop our relationship with God, as well as rules that just relate to us as human beings and how we behave towards each other in school and in society. That's where prayer and devotion come in.

Religion is the traditional foundation of our understanding of what is good and bad because it teaches people to know what is 'God's Will.' In Faith Schools this would be an aspect to explore. If it is a secular school you would have to follow the general ethos of the school and background of the children here.

This could lead to some great work on experiences of awe and wonder and what the children think of as special, most valuable or sacred. Again this would bring in love, caring and kindness.

7. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Do you have any artefact resources in the school? If you could get the 5ks of Sikhism it would help the children to understand them by doing a magic bag type thing possibly. (Though be careful with the Kirpan!