1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Problem Solving in Maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thepinkrachael, Nov 13, 2011.

1. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

Hi,
    wondered if anyone knows any good sites/books/activities that have worked to encourage problem solving in maths for Year 1, particularly with subtraction? We use abacus, and while some of the activities suggested are more problem oriented, without 10 adults in your room, they're pretty hard for children to get on with or are pretty boring, so i'm after anything that children can get on with more independently that is a bit more fun/practical and allows them to use and apply!
    Usually, I try and make Friday sessions a problem solving one, to use what we've been practising that week. We are doing subtraction this week, and other than money and change (which we haven't covered in great detail and they found VERY hard!) or word problems that many wouldn't be able to read, I'm struggling to come up with good challenges for them to apply their subraction. Any ideas would be very welcome!
    Thanks!

2. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

Hi,
    wondered if anyone knows any good sites/books/activities that have worked to encourage problem solving in maths for Year 1, particularly with subtraction? We use abacus, and while some of the activities suggested are more problem oriented, without 10 adults in your room, they're pretty hard for children to get on with or are pretty boring, so i'm after anything that children can get on with more independently that is a bit more fun/practical and allows them to use and apply!
    Usually, I try and make Friday sessions a problem solving one, to use what we've been practising that week. We are doing subtraction this week, and other than money and change (which we haven't covered in great detail and they found VERY hard!) or word problems that many wouldn't be able to read, I'm struggling to come up with good challenges for them to apply their subraction. Any ideas would be very welcome!
    Thanks!

3. BEAM (be a mathematician) has good problem solving books for each year group. I have the year 6 one and there is a problem for each week of the year. We always start our week with a problem rather than doing it at the end then teach the skills needed to solve the problem throughout the week
    Rocket