1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 1 problem solving ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by helbel007, Dec 1, 2010.

1. helbel007

helbel007 New commenter

Hello, I am being observed next week in Numeracy and the focus is problem solving. Any lovely ideas for a very tired Year 1 class? Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. helbel007

helbel007 New commenter

*bump*

3. Hi,
    I've done this for an observation. The children thoroughly enjoyed the activity and it is also great to extend the more able. I am now in Year 4 and have repeated it asking the the children to find out how many birthday candles teddy has blown if he is 10 years old. Good luck

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    P R O B L E M S O L V I N G. 4. Now ask the children: Q. If Teddy is 7 years old today, what is the total number of birthday candles he has blown out since ...
    www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/.../dfes%20problem%20solving/ Module%202%20finding%20rules%20and%20desc.%20patterns.pd... - Similar

4. helbel007

helbel007 New commenter

thanks that's very helpful and my class would enjoy it. How did you differentiate it?
    Any other ideas anyone?

5. Hi,
    Differentiated it through outcome. Some children chose to make teddy's birthday cakes using play dough and to physical put the candles (cut up straws) onto each of the birthday cakes. Others chose to draw the birthday cakes with the candles. more able children were able to see the pattern and were able to record it as a sum. I have got an activ flip chart for this task. if you want it please leave me message in my box. Good luck

6. helbel007

helbel007 New commenter

Thanks, although I have a SMARTboard sadly!

7. You could change the character form teddy to an elf or santa's reindeer

8. Hi ,
    Would it please be possible to send me the Activ Flipchart, for an NQT lesson observation really need to impress.
    Thanks

fmonkhous@stbedes.stockton.sch.uk

9. sorry only just seen this post do you still want the flipchart

10. Hi....I don't suppose you could forward the flip chart to me also. I have a job interview for an NQT post and thought this might be a good observed lesson. ntcox@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks

11. hi I have an observation this tuesday would it be possible to send me the flipchart please if you still have it? my email address is sandiar@hotmail.com
    thanks in advance [​IMG]

12. Hello!

This sounds like a really fun and interactive lesson. I am a PGCE student. Would it still be possible to see the flipchart you did for this lesson?

Kind regards
    nkpass@yahoo.com

13. HI there, love your idea! I have an observation next week. Could I poss use your activ flip? THanks Jx

14. Hi just seen your wonderful teddy lesson which id like to do as needing more problem solving and opening of the minds in my year 1! is it possible to have the flip chart activity forwardrd to me please?
    Many Thanks
    and thanks again .. t jones
    specialtrishy@hotmail.com

15. This lesson is fabulous please can you send me the activ flip that would be very helpful.
    Thank you!!

16. Would it be possible for you to email me the activ board please? I am an NQT and this lesson is amazing for interviews. Thanks in advance rachael@cactusbob.net

17. Try anything on Nrich website its great and gives all levels for the kids!