1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 pre interview lesson obs- doubling. Can anyone help please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by billygoatgriff, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I have an interview for a job in Y1 next week and have to do an observed numeracy lesson on doubling (45 min) a couple of days before the interview. There are 26 children, mostly performing at expected level with 5 of them still on early learning goals. There is a TA in the class.
    I have taught Y1 a few years back and since then have mainly taught juniors so I'm a bit rusty. Was thinking of using socks pegged onto coathangers as starter to introduce doubling then game involving domino doubles in pairs ( lowers with TA as a group), followed by doubling song from Sing Up site.
    Does anyone have any other ideas please?

2. inq

inq

Get them up and moving by doubling the number of children in a group e.g if you get children in groups of 3 they have to get double the number in the group when you give a signal e.g clap hands - that way they get the idea of 2 groups of 3 is double 3. I've also used hands so for double 3 they can show 3 on both of their own hands but for higher numbers they have to enlist a friend or 2 (my top group worked out how to do double 15).

3. Thanks. Great idea, I'll use that!

4. I've used this rhyme before in an observation and the head and maths coordinator liked it - think I found it on here a while back.
    1 and 1 are 2 (hold up 1 finger on each hand)
    Tap them on your shoe (tap fingers on shoe)
    2 and 2 are 4
    Stamp them on the floor
    3 and 3 are 6
    Do some finger clicks
    4 and 4 are 8
    Put your arms up straight
    5 and 5 are 10
    Let's begin again ( rolling motion with hands)

Repeat a bit quicker

and the third time do it really fast and end with
    5 and 5 are 10
    Hide them in the den.

5. Hi,
    Keep the children active- a good starter is a true or false game - hand them cards with T for true and F for false and challenge them by telling them that double 4 is 8 ( they should answer true) then take this further by using higher numbers such as double 11 is 25 ( true or false). The key is assessment so when they provide their answers ask them how they know or worked it out.
    Another good Year One activity is a scrunched up paper ball for each group- they pass the paper around (similar to pass the parcel) and double the previous number each time- be careful this may be too adventurous as you are unfamiliar with the children.
    Just remember to be clear about your expectations and the rules. Also, make sure you have a challenge just in case.
    Don't forget to check whether the children have special seats for maths- I have heard of schools where this is the case and they don't tell the person being interviewed.

Good luck

6. Thank you very much for your ideas. I'll start getting my plan together now!

7. My children LOVED the doubling machine we made. (cardboard box number went inside and double card came out of the back of it) - they used it independently for weeks.45 mins might be too short for this!
    If you have an IWB there is a double machine online http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/maths/num%20machine/double.html
    Hope that works!
    Oh, and there are always loop games etc if you have excess time

8. For the ELG children, either yourself (but probably TA) could work with them to make butterfly prints. Cut out basic butterfly shapes on sugar paper, they roll a dice, put that many paint splodges on one side, fold in half... count how many altogether. After a few they could go through them with the TA, maybe move onto looking at how the number sentence looks... they could show them to the rest of the class at the end and see if they could tell you what double ____ is by using the butterflies. x

9. Fabulous ideas, I'll use the doubling machine in my plenary, and I'll definitely use the butterfly idea for ELG children. Thanks ever so much!!

10. Had interview yesterday, lesson obs to be rescheduled to next week as school closed due to snow. Interview went really badly, so need to pull out all stops in observation. I have found out that the children haven't yet done doubling so would you keep lesson all practical with no recording? Also I did think about working with top group and looking at near doubles as well as doubles. Not sure about this now. Y1 objective is to know doubles to 10. Should I just concentrate on that for middles, butterflies for ELGs and move onto maybe doubles to 9+9 for tops (top group are quite able bunch).
    Would really appreciate some help as I'm panicking now after yesterday's performance!!

11. Don't panic...the teaching could relly pull it out of the bag for you!
    Personally, my top group would not cope with nr doubles if they hadn't touched on doubles yet. I would stick to doubling. I like the butterflies for the LA (and writing the number sentence to go with it - this could even be done on a whiteboard), I would probably use dice with my MA (get them to roll the dice and then double the number and write it as a number sentence - e.g. 6+6=12) and perhaps move on to bigger numbers with my HA (with my support).
    Just what I would do in my class off the top of my head...I'm sure there are more exciting ways, but I know this would work with my children!
    Good luck, I'm sure you will be great!

12. Thanks yoitsjo, Dice sound like a good idea. I'll rejig my planning.

13. inq

inq

My top group are able to do doubles to 20 without too much trouble as long as they have a 100 square to help them, my middles like having dice to roll, bottoms would enjoy butterflies (although due to lack of TA sometimes we tend to make towers and then a matching tower to double it). I wouldn't touch near doubles at all at this point in the year with my top group.

14. ing, with your top group, would you use dice or anything else to make lesson more fun? Also, how would you get them to record? When you say doubles to 20 do you mean 20+20? Thanks

15. comenius

comenius New commenter

www.ictgames.com has a few doubles games.
    I've used archery doubles with mine and then followed up with:-
    Make a large target similar to the one from the game, children throw beanbags onto the correct answer.
    I've used sets of dominoes before - children have to find the 'doubles' dominoes. (these are good for showing near doubles too)
    Ladybird doubles - children have ladybirds with spots filled in on one side, they put same number of spots on other side and write number in head. Or they could paint/finger print the spots de[pending on adult support.
    Ping pong is a good game for a quick starter or finisher. Children sit in circle you go round and say either a number or ping to each child they respond with either the double or pong. Its good for differentiation and seeing who's got quick recall.
    Use little boxes and glass beads. On the boxes put labels eg double 2 (2 + 2), the children put the correct number of beads in the box - these could be checked in the plenary.
    One for a group with adult support - get some cheap biscuits and mix up some coloured icing. Choose a card from a bag which might say 'Decorate your biscuit with double 4' They ice ad decorate!

16. inq

inq

Yes, I mean up to 20+ 20 , they often like number cards turned face down that they pick one and turn it over or I use 10 sided dice.

17. Thank you everyone!!

18. I got the job!!

Thank you so much for your help everyone!!

19. Congratulations!! You will love Year 1!!
    What did you do in the end?