1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 phonics test arrangements.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vinorose, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hi, I need to book release for the year 1 teachers to administer the test as was thinking of a day each to complete the testing. I'm just wondering if a day is long enough to cover a class of thirty children and wondered how much release others are arranging?

Thanks!

2. Hi, I need to book release for the year 1 teachers to administer the test as was thinking of a day each to complete the testing. I'm just wondering if a day is long enough to cover a class of thirty children and wondered how much release others are arranging?

Thanks!

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Probably...I was told to pretest all my kids. High ability kids got through it in about 3 mins though some lower ability ones took over 15 mins. I'd say a day is enough.

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

I was one of the pilot schools who trialled the check last year. I easily managed to do all 30 pupils in a day so that should be all you need.

5. Modgepodge - were you pretesting purely for timing purposes? Or for preparation? Am interested to hear what (if any) preparation other Year 1 staff are doing for the phonics check aside from their usual phonics teaching and assessments.
    Its my first year in Year 1 following years of having been in Year 6 and used to being far more conscious of upcoming national standardised assessments! I want to make sure the children have the best chance of showing what they can do in a test situation without starting to teach 5-year-olds to the test, and am not really hearing much from SLT other than being passed on the various booklets and materials that have been released. The other Year 1 teacher has taught in Year 1 but is strongly anti-testing - I just want to make sure I'm going in with my eyes open, so to speak!
    Thanks!

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

SLT asked me to do it so I am aware in advance of who may not pass (I mean, 'meet the required standard') and put in some intervention prior to June. Not doing much prep tbh, we read non words sometimes in phonics lessons, play trash or treasure etc but not much teaching to the test I don't think. I do think it's important chn learn to read words they won't know (whether real or pseudo) as even as adults we come Across new words and need to know how to read them. I always tell kids to assume its someone's name as often even bright kids struggle with these in books.m

7. Thanks modge podge. We too play the trash or treasure game, and use non words within phonics sessions. We have some alien puppets in our class so they occasionally throw in words from their home planet ;)
    While I hate the thought of essentially doing a mock test with Year 1, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm asked to do the same. Mostly because, although there was a pilot, the check itself is 'untested' within our school so I think it would reassure us all that there is some correlation between 'the required standard' in the check and what we see the required level as (using Letters and Sounds phases). It is hardly comforting to look to the pilot's pass rate....
    Since posting on this thread I found another thread on the phonics check which raised many interesting issues. The natural thing to do with the results of a practice test at this point is to, as you say, put in some targetted intervention, presumably for the borderline children. A poster on the other thread raised the question whether this would be to the detriment of children working below this borderline, ie SEN children who are likely to be working well below age related expectations. Like that poster, I hate the thought that this kind of 'borderline favouritism' (in terms of TA or teacher-led interventions and booster groups) that has crept in for Years 2 and 6 could also start to occur in Year 1. After a few years, the statistics will say phonics teaching and learning standards are on the up. I just hope that this will be true for ALL pupils - not just that borderline group (to the potential detriment of the highest and lowest achievers).

8. Sorry to be a bit dim .... have only used Read Write Inc. What is trash or treasure?
    Where would I find more examples of this type of activity.
    Many thanks
    BW

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

www.phonicsplay.co.uk - use the free games Dragon's den, Treasure Chest and Picnic on Pluto.