1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 phonics interview lesson - what do you guys think of this idea?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sapphire611, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:52 PM.

1. Sapphire611

Sapphire611 New commenter

Hello,

I have an interview Friday and have been asked to teach a 30 minute lesson to a class of Year 1's. They have asked that the children learn how to spell words with the o split e digraph.
    My main idea in the lesson is to have the o split e digraph on tables and letters spread around and ask the children to create 4 letter words. As a group, they will decide if the word they have made is a real word or a nonsense word. If it is a nonsense word, the children will put the word in an alien 'bin' that I have made. At the end of the lesson I will check the bin and as a class we will assess whether they are correct - are the words in the bin, alien or not?

However, not having knowledge of whether the children have been taught o split e before (i presume not) I would like to start by teaching them the sound. Knowing the school follow RWI I was considering going the whole route of revise previous sounds as a starter, introduce sound, get children to fred finger words with sound and then spell words with the sound then doing the activity.

I know that is too much to fit into half hour though so wondering whether any of it can be missed out? is there any way I can cut this lesson down?
    Thank You so much.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If it were me if I had to cut out anything it would be the 'general revision'. I'd just see how familiar any of the children were with an o split e diagraph - or any split diagraphs and then on the basis of that start my teaching.
    Means you 'tick' the assessment of children's knowledge at the start and then enables you to adapt your lesson plan as necessary, based on that evidence.

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

At this time of year Year 1 will certainly have covered all split digraphs. It's assessed in the phonic screening check which is now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Sapphire611

Sapphire611 New commenter

A good point thank you. I will have a revise and another little think

Lara mfl 05 likes this.