1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 phonics interview....helppppp

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nicolahannahevans, May 14, 2017.

1. nicolahannahevans

nicolahannahevans New commenter

Hi everyone!
    I am doing my PGCE at the moment and I have an interview for a year one job coming up. I need to teach 10 mixed ability year 1's phonics for 10-15 mins.

I thought that it would be a good idea do to real and pseudo words to prepare for their screening and also because I don't know what they've already done. I don't want to be in the position that I say, "today we are doing 'ing' and they say 'we did that yesterday!'

However.....if I do the real and nonsense words....am I actually teaching anything new for the teach section? Does it always have to be something new?
    I feel like this will be the best way to deal with the mixed abilities also.

Thanks in advance

2. WildKyogre

WildKyogre New commenter

I find it strange they didn't at least specify a phase. When on my teaching practice, real and 'alien' words was always done as an activity applying or revising a sound, not a main focus of the teaching. Maybe it's just because I'm an NQT but I can't see how you can 'teach' whether a word is real or not- it either is or it isn't, there's no 'rule' governing it and it's just something you have to learn. In a way, I think you're better off going for teaching a sound and preparing a variety of tasks to pick and choose from depending on how well they recognise it.

Sorry I'm not much help. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise better.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You've only got 10-15 minutes and you don't know anything about the children's previous learning, so I think it would be optimistic to try and teach something new. I would go for an activity that practises something they already know - real/pseudo words is a good idea. It might be good if you could plan some sort of problem for the children to solve using their phonics skills - more unusual than a 'buried treasure'/card sort type activity. Good luck with the interview!

4. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Sorry if this is a bit late.

As a Y1 teacher, at this stage, they will have everything thrown at them in order to get them to pass the phonics screening in June.

It's the mixed ability grouping which is interesting, as it this point (where I am at least), we are pushing gaps for the children who are near passing and split groups when we can in order to deliver targeted teaching.

This makes me think they want to see how you can differentiate for different abilities, so I would not stress so much about the sound you teach them (although aim high at this point in Y1!) but more about how you might cope with the child who is still, for example, on phase 3 sounds and the child who can read words while standing on their head.

I would go for something fun that would support the children who are still trying to learn the sound, while also being enjoyable for the children who can read the sound.

Big ask in 10-15 minutes, I know. Good luck and wishing you well :)