1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Phonics assessment today!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Am I missing something? We have known about these tests since the beginning of the year so frankly there is no excuse for not being ready. Only 2 of my children 'failed'. One is a traveller child and the other only started at Easter. We teach phonics every day as a strategy for children to decode words they meet in their reading books. They are read with individually twice a week in order to develop the other skills of reading, such as fluency, expression, inference etc. I teach year one and 2/3 of my children are on level 6 books and beyond. I was also finished the whole class by lunch on Monday as it really only takes 5 minutes or so per child - if they have been taught phonics effectively.

2. Wow that told us strictly school work! Nothing like being helpful and supportive to those who are simply coming on here to share experiences/ask advice etc.

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Pleased to say most of mine passed! 5 fails. But we use RWI and the ones who didn't pass were no surprise. 2 have statements.. I'd like to find a phonics programme that works well for sen children.

4. I don't mean to come across strongly but too many people are debating the point of the test, the stupidness of alien word, why teach words out of context. I am simply teaching my children to read and carrying out a test that is statutory.

5. This made me laugh!
    Some of my children took less than 5 minutes- but some took much longer- sent a couple away for a break and brought them back, and terminated the test altogether for a couple. Nothing to do with how effectively phonics is taught, everything to do with the individual circumstances of children in my class and my knowledge of them!

6. YES!!!!Disgraceful, shameful and totally ridiculous!!!!They expect Year One children to get it right, yet a government document forcing reading / phonics testing cannot even proof read.... Why is this not in the papers? How do we report them? I am appalled and amused too! It brought a smile to a frown after realising the high pass mark! :)

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our most able readers flew through the task but some of the less mature just enjoyed the one to one chat [​IMG]. I split the task with those I knew would struggle to focus.

8. Are you Gove? I really doubt that you think all children can pass the test due to your teaching and that other people have 'failed' their kids. I am willing to take my comment back if you work in an area with social deprivation, however, I am strongly under the impression this is not the case. I am, and always have been in a very successful school where the parents support the children which is why I am current going for 88%. However, I bet the school with 50% have not got the luxury of literate, proactive parents. Maybe think about all the factors that have an impact on successful learning before you tell people to be more organised, or how good a job you have done teaching phonics. P.S Sorry if I come across strongly but unlike you I haven’t been teaching children to ‘carrying out a test’ as I have been to busy teaching them how to read.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

well said!

10. Well, after a few practise sessions and a lot of explaining about the non-words, looks like we are coming out at about 90% pass.
    As I said earlier - exactly what we knew before (and the children thought it was 'daft' too!)

11. bernroy

bernroy New commenter

Thank you, Mrs Gove! This is the first time I've responded to a forum!!!!!

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Exactly. I'd be appalled if our teachers taught 5 and 6 year olds to carry out a test.
    I'm delighted for the poster who only had 2 children who failed. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but I'd hazard a guess that they have probably not got many children who are poor attenders orhave parents with drug problems or who live in violent homes. I'd also be surprised if they had a high rate of illiteracy amongst parents. It doesn't matter if you're the best teacher in the world with really rigorous phonics teaching- if they're battling against tough circumstances the children are going to struggle.

13. I'm with you on that. Most took less than 10 minutes, SEN children took slightly longer as they sounded out EVERY letter when they didn't know the word and they they wanted to discuss the aliens, their preferred alien, how they would change them (and one left me gobsmacked by informing me that the one eyed one was a sort of Cyclops!) Nowhere near 40 minutes, in fact even SEN group took less than 20.
    To me a sign that they can't decode, and I wonder what the child did in the time, work out each letter, look up for reassurance etc.
    I wish I'd known about the font change option.

14. That's correct.

This was explained to me by an ofsted hmi at a ht's training course I went to. National threshold is 1b for the end of yr 1 BUT national expected level is 1a/2c, which is what you should aim for. This is what is generally expected.

So, below 1b is the wave 3 group which would have 1:1 intervention. Then there is the wave 2 group (threshold) which is the target group of 1b children who would need small group intervention to get on track and lastly, wave 1 is the on track group with 1a/2c levels. Meaning 2b children are higher attainers.

Then for year 2 it is threshold 2c, meaning this is the lowest level accepted at the end of ks1 but national expected level is 2b/2a and level 3 is the higher attainers.

When I do data analysis I have to calculate both the threshold and the national expected levels. We had ofsted a couple of months ago and they were happy with our analysis of both levels, but of course they focus more on expected levels and not so much on the floor targets.

Hope this helps.

15. I'm confused by those saying that the test is poor because some of their good readers are not doing well.
    Isn't that the point? These readers are doing fine now with predictable texts but these are the very readers the check is meant to be identifying as they are not going to become proficient readers while their decoding skills are weak. Telling parents the children are fine when the check has revealed a phonological deficit that needs addressing seems wrong.

16. Hope this helps

This makes it much clearer. Thank you Leeda99

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Would it be a reasonable assumption that in another, parallel world, the real strugglers would have spent years one and two expanding their vocabulary, learning poems and rhymes and so on before starting to learn to read at age seven when they were better equipped to deal with it?

18. This must be the worst test ever! The children can't understand why they can't read real words. When are teachers and their professional associations finally going to stand up to this government and take some control of our children's futures!

19. I agree completely. This shouldn't be allowed to go on. I felt like crying when I tried a practice test on a wonderful boy in my class who has aspergers. He is making such good progress but just couldn't cope with the non words. It's the first time I have ever seen him show so much visible stress. He's 5 years old.
    Another girl in my class only started school this year. She came in knowing no sounds and unable to blend at all. She has some slight learning difficulties but has come out as a level 1c in our recent assessments. We are all so pleased with her progress but she is being labelled a failure.

20. Thank goodness there are others out there with the demoralising situation - there are only 10/30 in my class who have passed - with another 10+ children with high 20's/low 30's, but who have 'failed'!!... again children sounding out the 'k' as an 'r', and others (despite understanding nonsense words) trying to make them into real words. Good readers who are 1a have failed...
    The thing that frustrates me is that there's no space to show progress - ALL of my children have made great progress - I have children who in the practise test in February went from 7 to 28, 23 to 39, 0 to 11.... but that counts for nothing.
    I couldn't help myself, but I was feeling a little hormonal and had a little cry - it makes you feel as though you've failed the children somehow. :(