1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Phonics assessment today!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Jun 18, 2012.

1. We have a similar target of 3 SL progress - in both Yr 1 and 2. Can't quite get my head around how this works from the EYFS scores to the end of KS1 result. Was given a table to show expected progress from each Profile Point Score (ie score of 6 at end of Reception => 1b (end of Yr 1) => 2b (end of Yr 2)) However, the goalposts seem to have moved as the year has gone on...
    My reading levels document agrees that Yellow = 1c but says this equates to a reading age of 5.5?
    In the words of Chandler Bing, could this BE more confusing when trying to explain age-related expectations to parents when they ask??!

2. Has anyone else done the test today? If so what percentage of your class have passed? I think some of my less able will struggle with some of the words so a bit worried!

3. Hi - i know we cannot use any of the live test words up until 29th June as time table variations and others sitting the check. We are using the sample materiasl that can be downloaded off the DfE website

4. How many tests/exams have to get 80% to pass? Driving theory maybe? Some of the 'alien' words are even hard for an adult to pronounce so children with developing speech stand no chance!! Am I being cynical, or does Michael Gove want a huge failure rate so they can push a regimented phonics curriculum on to schools, as teachers have shown to have failed to teach phonics to an acceptable level?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

breaking it up into syllables is decoding [​IMG]

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i had two perfectly good readers fail the test today because they rushed (i did try to slow them down!) and/or because of a few nerves. we'd practised, talked about what was going to happen... they got started and just lost confidence in themselves. they both chose to orally decode then blend. decoding was lovely! all the phonemes recognised and correct, in right order... then the blending was just rushed. this isn't a problem they normally have.
    i've spent since the end of school just feeling awful for them, and having to do this thing to them. they don't realise how serious it is (thank god).
    my others did as expected, wih one SEN girl doing fantastically well, i was so proud! still nowhere near 80% right. more like 45%. you can get a satisfactory A level pass with 45%, right?

7. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

This was the issue for me - a less able reader passed with flying colours and two much stronger readers only just failed (for lots of different reasons - teeny weeny errors)! It's the having to tells parents that their child is a strong 1a reader, BUT failed the Phonics Test - eek! How to do it??

8. emilystrange

i'm really worried about the children are going to feel. they know they're perfectly good readers. what effect is this going to have on them? i can talk to them all i like about it, but what the parents will say is another matter - no matter how much i explain things to them.
    i have to admit that i cried a bit earlier, for the kids' sake. i can take stress on my own shoulders about my own workload, but when it comes to anything that's labelling my hardworking, good kids as failures, i might just get upset.
    no one, anywhere, will ever care about those that did really well on this test but didn't get 32 right. as usual. they'll just be called 'failures', by outsiders.

9. Msz

It's sad that is your experience [​IMG]

10. emilystrange

oh, smt and everyone else in school care - is all good there. i meant county, ofsted, gove - that sort.

11. Don't know if people are still reading this but I'll add my two peneth worth!

Our Year 1 is split into two smaller classes due to 35 year 1s in total. I teach the less able / SEN / statemented group.

Out of 16 only 3 passed. I had a lot who were borderline. The rest had made massive improvements from the sample test we did in March - one boy went from 9 to 25. I'm very proud of them! But unfortunately it's classed as a fail.

Other class, the higher ability, did better. 18 out of 19 passed.

This gives us a pass rate of 60%. Not great and I feel like a really rubbish teacher now! But I am proud of the progress made since March.

It's good to hear how everyone else is doing.

12. emilystrange

a parent (not one in my school) has just asked if it's possible for parents to refuse to let their children take the test.

13. Msz

I think it's a no win situation from that point of view ... do too well and they will question Y2 results next year don't do well enough and they will want to know why ...
    pleased school at least care

14. Did half of mine today.....13 passed and 3 didn't. The 3 who didn't were expected and already have support in place. One who did pass was a possible borderline so he did well. A few of mine panicked and we had to have lots of reassurance. One child told me her mum had said she 'had to get them all right'! No pressure there of course! It's so sad at 5 years old to be told that!

15. lotka

lotka New commenter

I agree that credit should be given for progress. So many have worked socks off & improved, but this will not be recognised. To find you've 'failed', even when doing your very best, is extremely demoralising.

16. We had one ask the same question. Our response was "it's not a choice."

17. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font><font size="2">Out of a yr.
    group of 45 .20 failed.</font>

<font size="2">It is very
    worrying especially that some of these children are at the national average for
    their age in reading. On their school reports we comment that they are in line
    with national expectation, above or below. It will really confuse parents when
    we say that their child&rsquo;s reading level in in line with or above national
    average for Yr. 1 but that they haven&rsquo;t met the standard. It is ludicrous!</font>

18. We pre-empted this with a parent information session a few weeks ago when we talked about what it meant to be a reader as opposed to a decoder, the facte the test- oops sorry 'screening'- is new, the high pass mark, lower results in the pilot schools and some other local/school reasons we weren't expecting 100% of children to pass (that was our target from LA- is it the national one?!)
    I feel confident that I can explain to any parent who missed the session or wants to come in and talk about it. But maybe our parents are just nicer than most!

19. Yesterday I was not feeling positive about the screening at all but today I completed the class' assessments and 17/30 passed so 57% pass rate. Whilst I would have loved more to have passed, many of those who 'failed' have either missed it by a couple of marks or exceeded expectation so I am feeling happier about it. My mood perked up somewhat when I found out that only 32% of the children in the pilot passed and that is something I am certainly going to lead with when talking to the parents. Having an 80% pass rate is a high expectation (it would equate to a Level 5 in Year 6 or a first class degree at uni) and from reading the FAQs for the phonics screening I've interpreted it as though they are purposely screening the children in Year 1 so that intervention can be put into place so that the children leave Year 2 at the right level. Feel slightly insulted that my judgement isn't enough but hey ho!!!

20. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I had 12 out of 29 pass :( feel like a rubbish teacher right now. Most who failed were miles off, tho I had 3 very able 2 c readers fail. I too am worried about what to tell their parents. they were close. Does anyone know if we are allowed to retest the kids? Not that I'd coach them or anything, I'd do the test in exactly the same way. They're 6 and as I didn't correct them at the time they won't know which ones they read correctly. One just rushed and one gets v nervous. I just think they can do better than this :(