1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Phonics assessment today!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It's relevant to whether I have a copy or not

2. fendertele

fendertele New commenter

I thik you migt find it was more of a case of look at the initial lettre and pr............ based on the contextual and gram........ clues . Guess is not the same thing. Similar but not the s.......
    Besides does it matter how they evenyually form a bank of words thta they recognise on sihgt and read on sight - as long as they get there? And then can use it to lift meaning from the p......
    Take the wurds laugh or aeroplanr four e.g Surely an intelligent cihldwould find it more effective to use context and grammatical clues to work out these words than phnoicss! And when they have seen it enough times they will simply remember it .
    Intelligent, interested and active children can't wait till phsae 13 wen augh is intorduced. thety arte reading rel books and comics and screens and......................... no matter how we try to restrict them to our phonic books.
    This whole debate is far more than the banalities of how best to teach reading -it is about how real human beings learn and the fundamentals of pedogogy - which the phonics lobby have taken back to the dark ages.

3. fendertele

fendertele New commenter

Thumbie - you are a scholar - the failure of the NLS in this respect was to spell out in very simple terms how to actually effect that "balance at different stages"
    THis is the very reason the phonics lobby took power - they had a very, very simple remedy that everyone ( even politicians) could understand. Not unlike the way right wing ideas gain power and influence.

4. fendertele

fendertele New commenter

Intelligent reply.

5. fendertele

fendertele New commenter

The individual child who failed and their parents for 3. Even if they are a competent reader ( rather that a competent decoder of decontextualised phonically coherent words)
    Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

6. fendertele

fendertele New commenter

really,werw all your poor phonicers poor readers too

7. You might find this interesting, thumbie
    Fine Tuning the NLS. Prof. Morag Stuart
    http://core.roehampton.ac.uk/digital/general/finetune.pdf

8. Well I am delighted to report my own daughter, who sat this 'decoding' test, passed, hooray with 32/40. So I was over the moon, she is a marvel clearly. How shocked was I then to get her report to read that she was still not quite achieving the required levels in her reading, needs more practise decoding, blending and general phonics work to meet the standard for end of yr 1! How awful that she, reading with a level 2c at the end of the year, should pass the phonics test and still not quite make the cut!
    How glad I am, that I take this arbitrary test with a mountain of salt. I realise that she is actually on track to develop to be a good reader, with all those other 'reading skills' this test ignores, and that I am not some poor parent with less awareness who might actually believe their child is doomed at 5!

9. Couldn't have put it better myself. Well said.

10. Msz

I suppose if it was a reading test it wouldn't be fit for purpose but since it's a phonics check it fits the label [​IMG]

11. you're absolutely right, and this is the message parent's need to be getting. Sadly, though, I think there is a general misconception with parents who havent the professional understanding we do to understand this is just an element of reading. I know when speaking to my daughters friends mum's they believe this to be a 'reading test' and consequently were putting much stock in the result. I also know that schools who felt it necessary to prepare parents with a 4 page pro-phonics propaganda leaflet (my daughters school!) also need to accept they have set themselves up for a backlash when concerned parents of 'failed' children come knocking for answers.
    The leaflet I mention, did not give parents any information on other reading strategies or skills and quoted the Dfe stating ';phonics is the most effective way to teach children to read'; As such, parents could rightly infer this to mean only phonics skills are valuable and a failure to acquire a given benchmark is an indicator that you have no real valuable reading skill. A shameful piece of literature to send to parents in my humble opinion.

12. Msz

unfortuately the media keep calling it a reading test

13. Well given the only government advisor (Miskin) has a very vested interest in just phonics, it isn't difficult to see why the media has made the jump to phonics test=reading test.

14. Msz

I'm actually surprised the press hasn't made more of Ruth Miskin's role

15. Me too, Michael Rosen did a brilliant reply all about the conflict of interest in Private Eye, wish the media would pick up on it so some questions are raised over the level of dominance given to phonics in the teaching of reading

16. Yours, Michael Rosen
    PS, I don't suppose
    you read Private Eye, but would you like to comment on the story in the
    latest issue, which claimed "educational publishers are … wondering at
    the conflict of interest" in the roles played by Ruth Miskin, who is
    reported as being a) the only primary literacy expert on the
    government's committee overseeing the national curriculum review, b) the
    creator of a reading scheme that is government approved and c) whose
    publishers are in receipt of up to £3,000 of government match-funding
    each time a school buys Miskin's reading scheme?

17. Msz the point is that the government are giving it a significance within the reading curriculum over and above other aspects of reading by creating a statutory, national check in decoding. This means that parents will think it is the most significant measure. The government clearly believes that it is.

18. MELDAVES, where The States go, we follow like sheep. http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6442500.html

19. Thanks Thumbie, good read, just wish the media would pick up this conflict of interest story, realise a one-size fits all approach is not best for our children and let us get back to teaching our kids a range of reading skills.

20. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What reading skills have you stopped teaching your class and why? I'm genuinely puzzled as to why the introduction of a year 1 phonics check this year would have made you do anything differently - particularly something like stopping teaching your children a range of reading skills. It sounds a foolish move. If whatever you were doing was working well the children would have passed the majority of children would have passed that very simple year 1 phonics check, and you would also have set good foundations for higher order reading skills - comprehension etc, and a love of reading, for higher up the school.
    Why did you feel you couldn't carry on as before? Who in your school told you that you couldn't?