1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Phonics assessment today!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Anyone else doing this today? Good luck - let's see what we make of the process by the end of the day...

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm just rereading the admin guide ready for later. Hope it goes well.

3. The words at first look okay, but looking closely I (the children) have found a few stumbling points.

4. Has anyone else noticed the spelling mistake on the cover letter? Apparently we're doing a 'screning' test not a screening test!!!

5. Hi, not doing the screening today and can't open! Can anyone let me know the pass mark? Thank you ;-)

6. Don't be fooled that the decoding test is only measuring ability to
    decode words, it's there to check schools are using synthetic phonics

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The pass mark is 32.
    I've just finished ours. Absolutely no surprises whatsoever.
    The children on the SEN register who are already having lots of intervention with phonics and reading skills didn't pass.
    The children with erratic attendance didn't pass.
    The children with parents who are more interested in drugs than in reading with them and talking to them didn't pass.
    The children without SEN who have interested parents and regular attendance passed.
    See you in half an hour at the foot of our stairs?

I'd be interested to hear what everyone's pass rate is. We're looking at 80% achieving expected level, which is pleasing considering our starting points but, again, no great surprise.
    I'd love to know how much this exercise cost.
    £200 per day supply for every Y1 teacher in the country + £100 for a half day training session + time to collate and upload the data + the training video, the website information, the publication of the booklets and the cost of sending them to every school.
    All to tell us what we already knew anyway. Useless.

8. We started ours today. As others have said, no surprises so far. Some of my able readers did try to make real words out of the non-words and one boy was delighted to think he had managed to make a sentence. A few made careless mistakes.

Started with the more able so that I could be really clear about what I was doing. So far all have passed but tomorrow might be a different matter!

9. Well I need to put it out there that we had large number of children struggling, though many of our most able yet to do the check. Main stumbling block seemed to be the non-real words for our high proportion of EAL children, despite plenty of practice with nonsense words. Sigh, never mind, I know they have a variety of strategies to draw on for their actual real life reading skills. What my sister-in-law calls an ABLO - another (insert word of choice) learning opportunity...

10. Msz

Only screened part of the class so far but the able readers sailed through it 40/40. See how the rest do tomorrow.

11. The font used tripped up two of mine. The k was semi cursive k which ours aren't used to. Most got it but two thought it was R. no surprises other than that though. 23 out of 28 tested so far passed.

12. Nightmare!
    Lots of children put off by aliens!
    Lots of children trying to make 'real words'.
    No children enjoying it.
    Rubbish and demoralising that we have to do this to our kids.

13. Mine got confused by the K too!

14. Mine was ok I think - 18/23 passed Children that failed (horrible word) were SEN or newbies!

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The K did confuse a couple of ours.
    Interesting that no one has had any surprises yet.
    I only have 1 EAL child in the cohort and he coped surprisingly well. He's very good at decoding though - I suppose all words are nonsense words to him!
    Some of my children did try to make real words of the nonsense ones.

16. Msz

too late now but you could change the font

17. What percentage pass mark are people getting? Expecting? LA finding words difficult - just interested in percentage other people have of passing..

18. comenius

comenius New commenter

No surprises for me either!
    I've got 50% pass which is what I was sort of expecting from a class with 12 SEN and 1 statement!! Those that did pass scored very highly (39/40) those that didn't were either high 20's or between 0 and 6!
    One of the nonsense words threw some of mine because it was so close to a real word!

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

80% for us.

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Mine too - sneaky.
    Sounds like your class did well considering their needs.
    The children who have "failed" are already having numerous interventions and a wide range of support.
    I'm not sure what else we can do. I suppose teaching their parents to read would be helpful so that they could help them at home too, but sadly they are not very easy to engage.