1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 patterned stories/stories from other cultures.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellaruby, Nov 11, 2007.

1. I am on the second week of this unit using the renewed framework and am really struggling. Last week I used Dear Zoo, Brown Bear and Polar Bear. I am having trouble planning around phases 3 and 4. If anyone has already delivered this unit, I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
    Thanks.

2. I am on the second week of this unit using the renewed framework and am really struggling. Last week I used Dear Zoo, Brown Bear and Polar Bear. I am having trouble planning around phases 3 and 4. If anyone has already delivered this unit, I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
    Thanks.

3. Sarah Warren

Sarah Warren Occasional commenter

We are planning to use So Much by Trish Cooke and Handa's Hen is quite good to for patterns and other cultures.

4. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

I got "Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain" which is a Kenyan story. We're not writing based on that but did discuss it and identify the pattern etc. We looked for Africa and Kenya on the globe and talked about the different cultures. Another one that was suggested were the Anansi stories.

HTH

5. I am using Handa's surpise and Handa's hen, Sparkle box has some fab downloads and sequencing stuff for this as well

6. I have sat for 3 hours trying to think which books to use (whilst trying to remember what books we have) And have come to the decision i'm going to do handas surprise/handas hen too and we're going on a bear hunt next week.

7. I think I've chosen Handa's Surprise and Handa's Hen too. I'm just having trouble fitting them into phase 3 and 4 of the framework. I must just have a mental block!!!

8. I've just done 'We're going on a Bear Hunt' for 2 weeks (linked it to Kenyan themed stories so I can use Lion Hunt and later link to Handa's Surprise)

9. That sounds great! Could I be really cheeky and ask to see a copy of your plans? lizziehill_uk@yahoo.co.uk

Bear Hunt ties in with my music topic and I would love to do a Bear Hunt/Lion Hunt ourdoor roleplay area.

Thanks.

10. gorgeoustasha

gorgeoustasha New commenter

Hi . Just come across this thread as am struggling with this unit. Am going to do bear hunt and handads suprise i think but am struggling a lot with my planning. Would anyone mind letting me see a copy of what they did pretty please?? Thanks :eek:)

11. gorgeoustasha

gorgeoustasha New commenter

12. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

13. I've just done a week on Handa's Surprise using some ideas from Literacy Matters. I'm going to do Handa's Hen next week but the Literacy Matters plan is beyond my Year 1s. What sort of independent activities do you give your class? I feel mine really need lots of opportunities to practise writing sentences and sounding out words.

Any advice would be welcome.

Any chance of your plan too:
    sneezy@doglover.com

Thanks

14. Just finishing planning the last couple of days, then i'll upload it to the resource bank and post a link.

15. baby jeebus is it possibly to have the link or a copy of your we're going on a bear hunt planns? Am doing this next week x thanks

16. Just finishing it now, (didn't do it yesterday - it was saturday night after all!) Handa's surprise and Bear Hunt are on the same plan as I do each for 2 weeks in Narrative 2.