1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 observation- subtraction facts of 10

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Middlemarch, May 28, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Are you out to impress them with your ideas or someone else's? How impressive is using another person's ideas?
    I'm all for sharing what you know works well with your colleagues, but will you celebrate a good outcome as much if you know it wasn't - actually - your own work?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Not necessarily a "fun" activity but I teach addition and subtraction together and record as "factor families"
    3+7=10
    7+3=10
    10- 3=7
    10 - 7=3

3. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Actaully Middlemarch, I know of many teachers who have shared ideas and taken on board others suggestions. Isn't that what this forum is all about that????Part of being a good teacher is using what is known to work and applying it in your own way. I might use someone elses idea but put my own spinon it and my delivery of it will be completely different! I am not actually asking someone to plan a lesson for me, I am only asking what has worked well for others when teaching this objective! Afterall when we buy a teaching resource book, it is written by another- so is that wrong too???

4. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

we all need input /ideas/ energy from each other!
    How smug to diss a call for help!
    My Class really enjoy number tennis.
    I 'hit' a number to the group and the 'Hit' back the number that makes the target.
    eg, I hit 7 they hit 3 etc.
    Great fun!
    Any target/total number, next even number, doble it, halve it.
    Enjoy
    x

5. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

I know you said they were good at this, but I still thought I'd share this game because it's fun, and could at least be used for introductory review:
    http://www.ictgames.com/save_the_whale_v4.html
    Since you said you didn't mind making resources, why not download TARSIA (it's free) from http://download.cnet.com/Formulator-Tarsia/3000-2051_4-10584458.html and make a puzzle for them? You write in the questions and answers and it puts them into a jigsaw template which you can then cut out and let them put together. The questions could be like "10 - _____ = 4" and the answer "6".

6. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Thanks guys, some really useful ideas here which the chn will love[​IMG]. Thanks for your support!