1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 numeracy interview- please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ani, May 16, 2008.

1. Ani

Ani

bump!

2. Ani

Ani

bump

3. Hi,
    I'm a year one teacher and willing to give you a hand- what kinda thing are you thinking of doing though? have you got to teach a particular unit of the framework or anything you fancy? If so it's best to make it something you'll enjoy teaching- which will hopefully be obvious to the panel and the chidlren!
    I always love doing data handling, problem solving and things where the kids can really get stuck in with loads of resources..but it really depends on you , so let me know what your preferences are and i'll have a think!
    :)

4. Ani

Ani

Thank you keep smiling! I was thinking of doing shape because it can be really practical my ideas so far are to sing a shape song to assess prior knowledge of 2d shapes, then describe diff between 2d and 3d-using a balloon, then go on a 3d shape treasure hunt- bring back together and see whether they have found 2d or 3d shapes and why. then assess again using a confused puppet and see what mistakes he has made.

i want to keep it really practical and fun. I have a long time to prepare the classroom before the lesosn so i can hide shapes etc. my current worry is they have emphasised that they have a smartboard in the classroom so i feel i need to put some IWB activities in there.

5. Ani

Ani

Hi, just had big panic, reread my letter and it says any aspect of number work relating to the age group- does that mean not shape???? AHHHHHHH!!!

6. Ani

Ani

any help would be great now...i've learnt my lesson read and reread the letter!! I tested it on people though and they would of misread it too but better to be safe than sorry!

7. hiya, you have stumped me there- does it mean the strand? If so strand be has shape and number facts - you could link shape in bymaybe grouping into number of sides - what shapes give us a total 8 sides?

Sorry can't be more help - how about problem solving. 30 mins is funny time as normally would be in independent work but hard to get started for 10 mins as no closure and ubnles syou did an o/m strt first?

I have an interview on Monday in yr 1 and the objective is to collobarativly work together to solve a problem! At first I though 'oh my goodness' but now settled on a practical problem solving idea!

Where is your interview - we aren't at the same one are we? xx

8. Look at the maths challenges for the more able, there are some lovely number activities in their but with a problem solving aspect to them. They would work well.

9. Ani

Ani

Thanks for the advice!
    interview is north lincs.
    I'm thinking I now might do recognising odds and evens and have a number hunt- and then check whether they picked up odd or even numbers and why. my poblem is though i can do an intro for 5 ish mins and then send them on a number hunt and do a plenary for 5 mins but will the number hunt and discussion afterwards be enough or would i need something else....such a funny time! it's afternoon too which means they'll not be in the mood for maths! think my brain is in overdrive and need to channel thoughts- just went to buy new shoes which helped until i realised i'd wasted time!!! help!!!

10. Ani

Ani

bump

11. Hi again Ani...sounds like you've had a crazy day! Buying shoes is definatly the best solution whatever the focus of the lesson! I'm with you there 100%!

Shame the shape thing is a no go - i've spent my day shopping and planning lessons for ofsted! On shape! would've just mailed them to you...ummm...even and odds is kinda tricky, esp.if you dont know how much they've already done!

Love the idea of a numberhunt, but like you wonder how much time that would take- also the actual'hunting' for numbers is fun, but not particularly mathematical. How about a lucky dip (quicker) of even/odd numbers, but only the even numbers get to go onto the excellent even numberline (or something similar!) my class seem to think its amazing that they can tell if high nubers are odd/even using the pattern so maybe you could try some 100's numbers with them if they get it!

My class also love doing the chant 2,4,6,8, who do we appreciate (you know the one!)
    The coxhoe durham website is great for numeracy/odds/evens, with some great stuff for the smartboard.

umm...will come back with more if my brain re-engages!
    :)

12. Ani

Ani

thanks again keep smiling! have come up with a sort of half plan and includes big numbers in my plenary but my worry is my task...i love my number hunt idea becasue it links in well with my puppet and "story" for lesson but not sure it shows enough pupil focus/group/ind work arr i am going to continually scream until i feel confident with it!!!

13. I'd agree with the odds and even numbers and the number hunt. You need to make sure that your lesson has a clear objective and that the activities you choose stick closely to that. I think your odd/even idea would be great for a sequencing activity for a starter but not sure if the number hunt as previously said, shows mathematical progression.

How about a number totalling activity as your main part? How many different ways can you make 5, 6, 7 etc... using different number cards?

14. Ani

Ani

Ok figure I shoudl go back to square 1 and think carefully about what topics i could cover in the"number" section, can anyone tell me what they would class as "number" for Y1?
    what about doubling?
    Seriously I knwo I'm a good teacher but this has thrown me today totally due to my own stupidity and sometimes you really can't get your mind straight! such a bad day!

15. Count reliably at least 20 objects, recognising that when rearranged the number of objects stays the same; estimate a number of objects that can be checked by counting
    Compare and order numbers, using the related vocabulary; use the equals (=) sign
    Read and write numerals from 0 to 20, then beyond; use knowledge of place value to position these numbers on a number track and number line
    Say the number that is 1 more or less than any given number, and 10 more or less for multiples of 10
    Use the vocabulary of halves and quarters in context
    Derive and recall all pairs of numbers with a total of 10 and addition facts for totals to at least 5; work out the corresponding subtraction facts
    Count on or back in ones, twos, fives and tens and use this knowledge to derive the multiples of 2, 5 and 10 to the tenth multiple
    Recall the doubles of all numbers to at least 10
    Relate addition to counting on; recognise that addition can be done in any order; use practical and informal written methods to support the addition of a one-digit number or a multiple of 10 to a one-digit or two-digit number
    Understand subtraction as 'take away' and find a 'difference' by counting up; use practical and informal written methods to support the subtraction of a one-digit number from a one digit or two-digit number and a multiple of 10 from a two-digit number
    Use the vocabulary related to addition and subtraction and symbols to describe and record addition and subtraction number sentences
    Solve practical problems that involve combining groups of 2, 5 or 10, or sharing into equal groups
    Solve problems involving counting, adding, subtracting, doubling or halving in the context of numbers, measures or money, for example to 'pay' and 'give change'
    Describe a puzzle or problem using numbers, practical materials and diagrams; use these to solve the problem and set the solution in the original context

These are all from number over the different strands.

16. Don't say you are stupid, at least you noticed it now and have time to change it. It could have been that you got to interview taught your shape lesson and then didn't get it because you taught the wrong thing!

Doubling/halving might be good.

17. Ani

Ani

Thank you so much!! I'm going to sit and have a think now...I'll get there I just wasn't banking on having to get this to grips with the new framework just yet (been out of school for a little while) thanks againa nd if anyone has a burst of imagination then please post it I will be so so grateful, i am gald i notcied it today cos it would of wrecked my interview if i hadn't

18. Ani

Ani

if anyone is still there then what about
    ojective= recognising doubles to 10
    lesson follows dragon theme:
    puppet= dragon
    intro dragon doubling story (as discoveron here and adapted by me to suit my lesson)
    main game in pairs where they must find the doubles of the given number to help puppet to stop nasty witch upsetting him. use "machine" to help them.
    plenary: review their doubles- thankfully they've saved the day and puppet is ok.
    listen to and join in if able to to doubling machine song.
    thoughts anyone.

19. Hiya,

I know what you mean when your brain doesn;t work! Mine is mashed with this flamin interview lesson! (i'm in the northwest).

How about ordering numbers so start off low with a number line and have children putting items on the washing line with numbers on the front.

Then maybe have a number line with higher numbers on and ask children to rearrange to put in correct order - maybe have chn and whiteboards and can write down first - maybe discuss in partners. Have chn then coming out to put in correct order?

Is this any good? x 5 mins starter, then a few mins explaining, 5 mins plenary - only looking at 15 mins for activity.

20. hiya, sorry posted this before seen yours

I like your idea but remember to keep simple. I like the idea of a puppet to use too. You have your LO - how will you assess - tell the chn what you are looking for.

x