1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 numeracy-carousel or not?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mrsh84, Aug 11, 2008.

1. I can't decide what to do, previous teacher used carousel well, I have never done it before. It makes sense to do it for the start as they will be doing more practical activities and it means I only need 5 for the week instead of 25! But don't know how it works with new framework, e.g. with measures all being combined each term instead of doing length one term, then mass, then capacity.
    How do you do it? Are carousels effective? What would ofsted say?
    Please help!

2. I can't decide what to do, previous teacher used carousel well, I have never done it before. It makes sense to do it for the start as they will be doing more practical activities and it means I only need 5 for the week instead of 25! But don't know how it works with new framework, e.g. with measures all being combined each term instead of doing length one term, then mass, then capacity.
    How do you do it? Are carousels effective? What would ofsted say?
    Please help!

3. I personally like them and have used them to some extent in yr 2.
    However i would be concerened about having same activites/covering same obj for 5 days. Would you fit everything in??? I did 3 day carousel activities in yr2 with some extension on day 2 and 3. However it meant it wasnt as simple as only planning 3 activities - each day they had to be extended or simplified depending on the group.
    I introduced this in year 2 after observing it being done v well in year 1. If you want more info about how i did it just ask.

4. Thanks, previous teacher taught same topic all week e.g. length then had 5 length activities including 2 adult led, differentiated as appropriate. If you do it over 2/3 days, do you just make sure every group works with TA and teacher once in the week.
    e.g 3 days length
    2 days capacity
    All groups have some adult input but not all groups will have teacher for length?
    Does this make sense, sorry, just tying myself in knots!

5. Last year i did everything in 3 day blocks even if it went over the weekend. So 3days on length and then 3 days on capacity and then 3 days on weight. I planned for 3 days at a time rather than using a weekly format for 5 days.

I had 3 groups of 10 children.
    group 1 - working with teacher and lsa so 5 ch each.
    group 2 - a given activity/task at a table
    group 3 - free choice of 6/7 activites that realte to obj including computers, outdoor area etc.

I found this a good balance, with all ch working with lsa or teacher every 3 days, choosing group think they are playing but activities are specific to meet obj.

Hope this makes sense.

6. That sounds really good. Sorry to ask another question but did you differentiate choosing activities or just differentiate adult led/given task?

7. No i differentiated all activites. Fairly easy to do, often it is just be quantity expected, resources given for support, recording expected, higher/lower numbers, paired or individual work. Normally same activity just easier or harder so doesnt need completely re-explaining each day.

I also put activities for choosing group realted to the mental and oral starter focus. SO that even if the three days covered measures. There could be number activities as well e.g. no bonds to 10.#

If u give me ure email i will send u a copy of my plan if u like.

8. You should have mail!

9. I got it thankyou! That really does make sense, I will try that approach for the first few weeks and see how I get on. I'm so used to Y3 its hard to change!

10. You're welcome. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

11. Jemima22, please could I have a look at your planning too, am thinking about introducing carousel activities too. dhawksl1@aol.com

12. You have mail x

13. Please could I have a look too? I replied on the Primary thread but would love a real life example! :)

sonicwaffle@hotmail.co.uk

14. You have mail!

15. you have mail x

16. Thanks a bunch :) Can I just ask you a question about it?

The activities numbered 1-4, I can see that they're differentiated dependent on ability, do you just have them out on 4 tables and the children in that group have to make their way through each activity? Which group do you work with? (I'm guessing Teacher's Tigers - such a good name!)

17. Busy bees have free choice of the 3/4 activites. Sometimes it canm be 6/7 activites dependening on outside and if i can think of more. I split my busy bees tables up into 3 smaller ones, as not all children are there at once. I often make 1 of the activities essential (as you can see on the plan) and all ch know that when they are a busy bee they can choose to do any of the activities when they want but they must complete the essential and i appoint a monitor to check all 10 in that group have done it when i gove the 3 minute warning before we stop. I also have set rules about the computer - they cannot change the program and i have a 3 minute sand timer so that they all get a turn.

Hope that helps.

Oohps nearly forgot. Yes I work with Teacher Tigers. Split the 10 between me and LSA, so 5 each.