1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Numeracy Addition am i expecting to much????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Spice0012, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

We have been completing practical addition for most of the week and yesterday we began writing some number operations on whiteboards. Today i had my LSA working with the SEN group and the others were completing a sheet were they had to count the number of apples in a basket and write number underneath, then they had to count the number of extra apples added and again write the numeral under. Then they had to count the total and write the answer next to the equals sign. They all understood that addition was combining two groups and the sum with 3 + 3 they all knew it was 6 but recording it was hell on earth.
    Please help.

2. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

We have been completing practical addition for most of the week and yesterday we began writing some number operations on whiteboards. Today i had my LSA working with the SEN group and the others were completing a sheet were they had to count the number of apples in a basket and write number underneath, then they had to count the number of extra apples added and again write the numeral under. Then they had to count the total and write the answer next to the equals sign. They all understood that addition was combining two groups and the sum with 3 + 3 they all knew it was 6 but recording it was hell on earth.
    Please help.

3. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

I don't think you're expecting too much BUT I do lessons where the focus is JUST on the recording rather than the combining and all the other stuff. I give them mega easy calculations just to get them to concentrate on the written recording.

It does take them a while as it's totally new to them like another language in a way. I wouldn't worry too much just keep doing it over and over and they'll get there. Mine are the same.

4. I wouldn't worry about the children's ability to record in a written fashion.

It is more important that they understand the concept of addition.

I worked with my staff to put a guidance document together to show the very informal/pictorial ways of recording each of the 4 operations right through to a standard method.

If you'd like to lok at it send mail - rachelorr@talktalk.net - it may give you some other ideas for the children to use for recoding their thinking and explaining.

2 good quotes from DCSF (DFES)

demonstrate the correct use of mathematical vocabulary, language and symbols, images, diagrams and models as tools to support and extend thinking

teach children how to evaluate solutions and analyse methods and understand why some methods are more efficient than others

5. we over rely on addition sentences which for SEN children mean jack sh.it. Try doing it pictorially.

6. could you send me a copy too please? I am really struggling in Year 1.

Thank you

rara133@hotmail.com

7. Hi again!
    would appreciate a copy too! Thank you. Been meaning to complete your feedback form so will do soon, I promise!
    missmorganmissmorgan@gmail.com

8. Give me some time. I'll sort it by the end of the weekend. Very busy tonight and tomorrow.

9. You all have mail

10. Have just received it. Thankyou very much as it was really kind of you and will be very helpful.

11. Sorry to be a pain (again!) but please could I have a copy of the guidance document?

Thank you! :)

newsneddy@hotmail.co.uk