1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 maths planning - are people still using the framework??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lizzi Lou, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have been teaching in the Foundation Stage for a number of years and I'm starting teaching in Year 1 in September. I've been trying to look at the maths framework, only to find that the website has been archived and a lot of the links don't work.
    Do you use the framework? If not, do you just go from the National Curriculum? I feel that I may be a little behind the times and I'm starting to panic!
    Can anyone help me? What do you do?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Hi,
    I have been teaching in the Foundation Stage for a number of years and I'm starting teaching in Year 1 in September. I've been trying to look at the maths framework, only to find that the website has been archived and a lot of the links don't work.
    Do you use the framework? If not, do you just go from the National Curriculum? I feel that I may be a little behind the times and I'm starting to panic!
    Can anyone help me? What do you do?
    Thank you in advance!

3. The Government archived it 'cos it was written by labour AFAIK no other reason!!! We still use it
    xxx

4. Hi,
    I am teaching year 1 again for second year and was previously in reception. We used the APP targets last year as our primary objectives and planned accordingly. To be honest I preferred it as I found it was similar to planning for the objectives in the foundation stage, it allows lots of creativity. Every thing I did in numeracy was linked in to my literacy topic, similar to how things are planned in reception.
    Not sure if this is what you meant but I hope it helps x

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. You can find the NS on this website
    http://teachfind.com/primary-mathematics-framework
    it works much better than the archive site
    Still useful to get objectives and APP grids from - but l never really followed the timescales or order much - though l know other teachers in my school did.
    Penny

7. Is it OK to plan from APP objectives?
    Now I've managed to find it (thank you for those links!) I've remembered how complicated the framework is. I think I would find it lots easier to plan from APP, but does APP cover everything we're supposed to cover?
    Or should I just try get to grips with the framework? I know it has some good AFL questions and ideas, it just seems really mixed and the objectives don't seem straight forward somehow. Maybe it's me.
    Oooh, still not sorted! I feel hopeless! Thank you for your help, you must think I'm terrible!

8. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

If I were you I'd find out what your class need to be able to do, and plan to teach them accordingly, with the National Curriculum in mind.

9. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

We ditched the framework and like WolfPaul suggests we just go from where the kids are. I still use the key objectives for LOs sometimes but don't stick to any framework/order. Some of the kids are still working on ELGs when they come in, so I still look at those to help with planning for the lower ability kids. When we followed the framework we found that we were short of equipment a lot of the time because we were all doing money or shape at same time.Now I just go my own way and keep a table showing what I have covered.

10. You're right, I planned for what the children needed in Reception so why should it be any different? Some of the children are still on the ELGs anyway. It's nice to know we don't have to stick to the framework. I think most of the other teachers in our school still follow it. It just seems 'right' to be going with the children's needs, rather than just following a framework. Though there are benefits from the framework I'm sure. OK, I feel a bit happier now ... I think! I think I'll plan for the first week using what I know about the children, then see how I go. It will also help when we're back to talk to the previous Year 1 teacher (she's on holiday at the moment)!
    Thank you for your support. This forum is so great. Everyone is very helpful and it's lovely that people don't make you feel stupid! [​IMG]

11. You are right, plan to meet the needs of the children in your class!
    I'm moving schools going into Year 4 after four years in Year 3.
    I use the framework as a guide only. I had a very weak year group last year and the framework was too advanced for them and did not allow enough time on a particular area of maths to consolidate understanding.
    With my new class, I've looked at the year 4 objectives and made a rough plan for the first week, but fully expect to adapt it based on their needs.