1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 maths-lesson structure

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hannah123, Nov 20, 2015.

1. hannah123

hannah123 New commenter

Hi, just after a bit of advice. My job share and I are struggling a little with our Year 1 LA maths set. We have been trying 1 group with Teacher, 1 with TA and 2 groups completing independent activities. However, the children do not seem to be coping well with the independent activities so we are looking to perhaps change the structure of our sessions. Its not the tasks that are the problem-we've tried all manner of different types/difficulties and do not want them to become 'holding tasks'. Can anyone give some suggestions as to how they structure their KS1 maths sessions please? Many thanks

2. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Could you perhaps try sending a group off after your whole class input to a quick task guided by the TA (including the explanation of the independent task) and keep the rest back on the carpet to either consolidate or support for a few extra minutes.

When all groups are off the carpet your TA could change to a different group whilst you work with your own. Before the plenary, the group that has not yet been supported by an adult could perhaps gather on the carpet, or you could move to their table, and check over answers/tasks. Switch it up daily so that the same children are not always sent away first etc.

This way both you and your TA have worked with all groups whilst all left at some point to continue their work independently and benefitting from support. Although I understand that timing etc could be a little hard, perhaps just trying this out for one or two lessons and comparing the difference/tweaking it to fit your own class needs etc could work. You could also reduce the time spent with the two independent groups after a while so that they are used to working independently with just a quick glance over by you or the TA.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Year 1 will need to be taught to work effectively independently on a teacher-planned task. Lots of work goes into encouraging 'independent learning' in Reception (child's own choice of activity), but then this all gets forgotten about once the children reach KS1. Could you have an independent group who have a stimulus and create their own task and learning from it? You would have to teach them how to do this initially, but it could create some interesting and engaging learning once they got the hang of it.

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I'm sad to hear this. Who made you put Y1 into sets?

5. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

In my old school we used to use an approach called

Shared, guided and independent

This meant that children moved fluidly between groups of 'shared' - I don't understand this concept yet and need the teacher to model it for me, 'guided' -'I'm going to try this concept in a gorup or a pair then meet back with the teacher at the end to consolidate anything I didn't understand , 'independent' - I fully understand this concept and can do an independent task

The way it worked was tat everyone was 'shared', then the children decided for themselves if they were shared guided or independent. If a child tried to be independent and failed, they would be welcomed back into the shared session the following time the subject was covered.

This was in Scotland and I appreciate this form of working may be completely inaccessible with the national curriculum or indeed your class setup - I just wanted to share something that I personally found really effective!

I hope you manage to find something that works for you :)

6. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Sorry - using my iPad and my spelling is atrocious !!