1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 maths assessment! Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stressed84, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Hi, i am in year 1 teacher in need of some sort of maths assessment. next week as a school we have assessment week and we have no type of maths assessment in year1 it is all down to the teacher to decide. ive asked the year 2 teacher and she said she is doing practuse SATs which is ok for her but what should i do! i need help has anyone got any ideas or a maths assessment paper that i could use! in desperate need! a maths paper would be great!

thanks

2. Hi, i am in year 1 teacher in need of some sort of maths assessment. next week as a school we have assessment week and we have no type of maths assessment in year1 it is all down to the teacher to decide. ive asked the year 2 teacher and she said she is doing practuse SATs which is ok for her but what should i do! i need help has anyone got any ideas or a maths assessment paper that i could use! in desperate need! a maths paper would be great!

thanks

3. Thanks you, this is exactly what I have been looking for.

4. Perfect, thanks guys, you have saved me a LOT of time!!!!! [​IMG]

5. This is JUST What i needed. Thank you all!!

6. Thanks everyone just saved me loads of time devising my own!

7. chipper115

chipper115 New commenter

As maths subject leader, I have recently introduced the Wigan assessments across my school. The resulting levels were incredibly generous. For example, over half the Year 1 pupils scored a 1b - the level expected for the end of the year. My own class is much the same - about half have (according to Wigan assessments) already achieved their targets. I mean, I know I'm good, but even so.... ;)
    We will be taking the Optional SATs later this term and I look forward to comparing results after that.
    I'd be interested in hearing of others experiences with these assessments.

8. I use them in Y1/2 and generally take the level at least a sub level down. I think that the tests provide a reasonable level of coverage and challenge, which increases as the year progresses. I highlight the front sheet (objectives) where achieved and then transfer this to APP. And, strangely enough, the kids love doing them! Oh the joys of being 6 years old...

9. Might sound silly but are we supposed to do maths tests for assessment? I am new to Y1 and no one has mentioned it at school - I just use my own teacher judgements and as a school we use Focus targets. At the end of last half term me and TA went through the Focus targets they were working on and highlighted the ones they could do. I then used this (and knowledge of the children) to give them a level. x