1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Literacy - Stories from other cultures

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rozness, Aug 26, 2009.

1. rozness

rozness New commenter

Hello, I know im slightly late with my planning as we go back next week, but im trying to plan our first unit of Literacy. We decided to plan using a creative curriculum and are sort of going back to Topic/Themed Units. Out Autmn 1 unit is 'It's a Small World Afterall' The Literacy unit of 'Stories from other cultures' fits in perfectly, yet I cannot for the life of me think of many strories from other cultures which also include pattern and rhyme as this unit also mentions pattern and rhyme.

The only Year 1 book I can think of is a story called 'The runaway Chapatti' Its very similar to The Gingerbread Man but set in India and it has pattern and rhyme in it too. More pattern than rhyme if I remember correctly.

Does anybody know of any other Year 1 appropriate stories which are from other cultures but have pattern and rhyme in them?

Thank you so much!

2. How about 'We're going on a Lion hunt' Its set in Africa, but has the same pattern as bear hunt. My kids loved it!

3. rozness

rozness New commenter

I'v not heard of this book, il check it out, thanks!
    Did you do a comparison to 'we're going on a bear hunt' when you used it?

4. schlairtay

schlairtay New commenter

hi i used 'The Leopard's Drum' by Jessica Souhami with my year 1's last year. It's an Ashanti folktale available as a big book.... if i remember correctly i picked it out as it had patterned language. They loved it and had great fun acting it out! [​IMG]

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

I use
    Handa's Surprise, Handa's Hen, We all went on Safari, Too much talk, Following the sun, One Smiling Grandma, A very helpful little boy (online book at www.coxhoe.durham.sch.uk ), Brown bear brown bear and Polar bear, polar bear