1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Literacy Poetry Unit 2 Pattern and Rhyme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sarah Warren, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Sarah Warren

Sarah Warren Occasional commenter

We are part way through this unit and have done quite alot of work on rhyming words and creating rhyming couplets. We have the Scholastic book which suggests for Phase 4 to use patterned, rhyming stories but I don't really like their suggested texts - has anyone got any good suggestions please?

Thanks

Sarah

2. Sarah Warren

We are part way through this unit and have done quite alot of work on rhyming words and creating rhyming couplets. We have the Scholastic book which suggests for Phase 4 to use patterned, rhyming stories but I don't really like their suggested texts - has anyone got any good suggestions please?

Thanks

Sarah

3. Have you thought about any of the Julia Donaldson books?

4. Sarah Warren

I'm going to do a little bit with 'The Smartest Giant In Town' but couldn't see much mileage in the others - I need something a little more simple in structure I think!

Thanks for your reply though.

5. i did a lot of work on humpty dumpty rather than a story.
    But if you want a story how about:
    Itzy Bitzy house by Christine Morton-Shaw?

6. I'm doing that unit too, perhaps we could swap ideas if we're doing the same units in the same order? Drop me an email if you like fiazul@yahoo.co.uk.
    I did ***** cat ***** cat last week and this week am focussing on winter, doing snowman poems tomorrow. Was going to read Room on a Broom and do some work on that but then after much planning realised I couldn't as have a Jehovas (sp?) Witness child so had to scrap that idea.

7. Sarah Warren

I have just found a simple IWB flipchart that I made last year with the 'What;s in The Toy Box?' poem on and that was really good last year for practising simple rhyming patterns and following a simple pattern. Might use that one!

Sarah

8. I've started to think about this for next week and was thinking of This is the Bear. Do you think this would fit? Also though about looking at nursey rhymes like Twinkle Twinkle and Humpty Dumpty.

9. 5 Little Ducks, Over in the Meadow, Ten in a Bed - anything that counts down and repeats on each page is a patterned text. These are probably the easiest types of poems to learn and recite, find rhyming words, and change parts.

10. What is your final outcome for this unit? Do you want your children to write their own poem with a pattern or with rhyme?

Or do you think their own version of a poem worked on in class?

11. I'm doing this unit too. Cant think of any at the moment but I will have a look through my books tomorrow and let you know. I know I've got lots of patterened and rhyme books.

12. Me to!!

If anyone would like the plan i have just done last week with things like, whats in the box, a squash and a squeeze, nursery rhymes etc (we also had ofsted!!) then i would be happy to. But as it is a two week unit has anyone got anything i can do next week?

I also have my class assesmbly so wanted to link rhymes in somehow.

Any ideas and a swap of plans would be great!!

13. Hi Im doing this week after Could I have a copy thanks andi@tesco.net

14. Could I have a copy of this? I'm doing it after half term and struggling for ideas/poems as the literacy standard is quite low. My email is sreddrop@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!

15. hi, could I please have a copy too, just finished the first week of this and need some more inspiration for the second. Many thanks! :)

ianross10@hotmail.com

16. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

Any chance you could use this
    http://communication4all.co.uk/Nursery%20Rhymes.htm
    or how about:
    role play the characters and interact with each other. Example:
    Little Miss Muffet, sat on a tuffet,
    Eating her curds and whey.
    Along came a spider,
    Sat down beside her,
    And chased Miss Muffet away.

You may think that only two roles are available. But, the mini theatre can develop in an infinite number of ways. Miss Muffet and the friendly spider/deadly spider. The absent mother. The psychologist treating the trauma. The farmer who had tried to spray the field and exterminate the spiders. Green Peace, the press, etc. Possibly not!!! but it's a starting point

would love to see your plans
    mhf_35 at hotmail dot com

Thanks in advance