1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Literacy Observation for Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jodieadams91, May 7, 2012.

1. I have been selected for an interview, I am an NQT and this is my first ever interview so am very nervous.
    I have been told to teach literacy to year 1 lasting 1 hour and the lesson is completely open for me to choose what to teacher, however I have no idea... the observation is wednesday and I am really worried, any ideas?

2. I have been selected for an interview, I am an NQT and this is my first ever interview so am very nervous.
    I have been told to teach literacy to year 1 lasting 1 hour and the lesson is completely open for me to choose what to teacher, however I have no idea... the observation is wednesday and I am really worried, any ideas?

3. Don't panic, have a look back through your school placements for a lesson that worked well and work from that, adapt and improve based on your own evaluation. They are not necessarily after an outstanding lesson, but one which demonstrates how you interact with the class and how you plan, assess etc. Probably for year one pick a theme (pirates, traditional tales,whatever you like) use a puppet (if this is something you like to use obviously!) or do some phonics. You could share a story with them, spend time talking about it and then get them to do an activity (with differentiation) based on it and use plenary to review learning?? Not sure if this helps?
    Congratulations on even getting an interview, that's the major hurdle! Good luck

4. rek45

rek45 New commenter

This may be too late but I've only just read this!
    I observed a super Year 1 lesson today. The teacher read Elmer and the lost teddy to the children. She then 'found' a letter off Elmer which asked the children to help find the lost teddy (kids were amazed by this as the letter was addressed to Year 1 pupils at ______ Primary School). The focus was then to use adjectives/sentences to describe the teddy on a poster. Lots of word sorting activities (zone of relevance), tactile (what does the teddy feel like/look like)? Easily differentiated (labelling lists to joining ideas with connectives). Kids loved it as the writing had real purpose. I know the teacher has done similar lessons for a wanted poster for the big, bad wolf. I'm sorry this is probably too late but might help in the future. Good luck!