1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 lesson structure. Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by HannaMirabel, Oct 17, 2016.

1. HannaMirabel

HannaMirabel New commenter

Looking for some advice please!
    Currently in our year 1 classes we will teach either literacy or maths for an entire morning. After the input, the teacher and the TA will have a group whilst the other two groups are choosing, normally with one focused activity. Then after play, the groups swap over.
    How do other year 1 classes structure their lessons/day?
    Should all children be sat down working?
    Anyone any recent experience with what ofsted think?

(Later in the year, the choosing becomes less and they all sit down to work at the same time, john st wndering if the should be doing it now)

2. giff07

giff07 New commenter

Hi Hanna. My lesson structure will usually involve all children having a go at achieving the lesson objective at the same time. Usually I'll have four differentiated activities for most lessons but will make sure that the objective is achievable for all children. In maths this week for example our objective was to represent numbers using dienes. Children who are still struggling to recognise numbers to 20 can still have success representing smaller numbers whilst the ha can be pushed on by representing numbers to 100. Personally, I like my lessons to be structured and all children to be having a go at the same time. It completely depends on your class though and how independent your learners are.

Whether people agree with this or not, I feel one of the biggest challenges of Year 1 is teaching the children how to learn. A big part of this is sitting at tables for a whole lesson! Our maths and literacy lessons are an hour each. I start each lesson with songs and games and make sure the activities are rather pacey.

Hope some of this helps!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I used to do this, but with shorter activities so we did maths and English every day.

Then later I had the two groups not with adults doing a practical activity linked to the LO instead of free play.

Didn't have the year 1 sitting at desks and working in books independently until the second half of the summer term, when they were ready to do so and it wasn't a challenge at all.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I disagree that teaching a child to sit at a desk for an hour of maths, followed by another hour of English is in any way teaching them how to learn. It is merely teaching them to sit at a table. It is perfectly possible to teach children how to learn without any tables in the room at all!

MelHug94 and digoryvenn like this.