1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 job starts in Sept - been asked to do assessment of Reception children coming up before the end of year.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by monty1989, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I would like see what other teachers would use this 2 week period to assess. The school has a scheme where the children all move up to their new class for 2 weeks at the end of the year to meet their classmates and teacher. I have been told to use this to assess their current levels before the holiday to see the maximum of what they can do before the long period off school. I was wondering if anyone has tackled this before and any documents they have used for this??

2. I would be talking to the Reception teachers and finding out what scale points the children have achieved. I would use the children's eyfs assessment grids that are already being used in Reception. I continue to use the LO and eyfs scale points at the start of Year One for those children that still need it and I use NC for those children that are ready to work at this level.
    Just to let you know we don't 'formally' assess the children until the end of the first term as this gives us a more realistic idea of what the children can do. I have to say I value the eyfs scores that we are given and I use these as a guide together with the knowledge that the reception teachers can give. I do not use them as a tool to assess the children at NC levels as this is not possible but I use it together with the development matters statements to help plan my lessons.
    I hope this makes sense!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter