1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 interview observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3722, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have just got an interview for a year 1 position and have to do a 20 minute observation. There is no set subject for the observation and have been told I can do what I like - I want to do numeracy or literacy activity and the class is mixed ability. But after that I am at a loss. The openness of the activity has stumped me and am a bit lost at the moment. I haven't been to an interview for a while so am a bit apprehensive about the observation.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
    Thanks

2. You would be better placed for advice if you come up with an idea, then ask. People will not give you your interview lesson here - YOU are the candidate. If you can't come up with an idea, should you be applying for the position?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid I agree entirely. Heads can spot those who haven't developed their own ideas a mile off, too.
    Think of the best and most successful lessons you've taught - what was so good about them? Why were they successful? Identify the elements and you're on the way to planning a good lesson that uses what you are good at.
    Start with your learning objective, then decide which activties would best help you achieve it with all the children.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Every post by this person has been asking for advice on their interview lessons. That has to tell you something.

Why are some people unable to define a LO, have some ideas and then come back and ask for feedback?

Having said that, since HTs have seen so many lessons at interview that were posted on TES if I were an interviewee I'd be very wary...

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The real question, ILS, is why some trained teachers are apparently unable to think for themselves, yet see this as no impediment to actually taking a post as a teacher.
    That the same folk keep coming back to ask others to plan their interview lessons for them is no surprise - it's the ones that can think for themselves who are getting the jobs.

6. Lesson observation plan done.
    Thanks for the advice

7. Glad you have finished your lesson plan Eliza25. I have to say that I was shocked at the lack of support and to be honest the unhelpful attitudes you had from the above so called ' teachers'. I can only hope that you do not end up working alongside staff like this. I dread the thought of what they are like as teachers if this is how they respond to someone asking for help. I think they should be ashamed of themselves. There is absolutely nothing wrong in asking for help or ideas. That is how we all learn. Best of luck with the interview X