1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Interview advice - speaking and listening activity.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallydiamond, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,

I have an interview on Friday for a Year 1 class teacher position at a city school with a high proportion of EAL children. I'm an NQT and not very confident in interviews so any help and advice would be much appreciated.

I am struggling to settle on an idea for a teaching activity. In which I need to carry out a 15 min group activity for 6 mixed ability children that will develop their speaking and listening skills. I won't have access to ICT but will have a carpeted area and tables. I need to link the LObjectives to the national literacy framework and the LOutcomes to APP.

I have spent some time teaching EFL in Japan and was thinking of possibly linking this in, using puppets and talking about different places/countries.

Another idea was a Pie Corbert idea - retelling a story. I was thinking of reading Goldilocks. Or possibly the children hotseating me in role as Goldilocks.

Arghhhh...I can't decide what to do. Please help!!!!

Kind regards

Sally

2. Hello everyone,

I have an interview on Friday for a Year 1 class teacher position at a city school with a high proportion of EAL children. I'm an NQT and not very confident in interviews so any help and advice would be much appreciated.

I am struggling to settle on an idea for a teaching activity. In which I need to carry out a 15 min group activity for 6 mixed ability children that will develop their speaking and listening skills. I won't have access to ICT but will have a carpeted area and tables. I need to link the LObjectives to the national literacy framework and the LOutcomes to APP.

I have spent some time teaching EFL in Japan and was thinking of possibly linking this in, using puppets and talking about different places/countries.

Another idea was a Pie Corbert idea - retelling a story. I was thinking of reading Goldilocks. Or possibly the children hotseating me in role as Goldilocks.

Arghhhh...I can't decide what to do. Please help!!!!

Kind regards

Sally

3. What a lovely topic to have for an interview lesson. Speaking and listening is a great way to show how quickly you build relationships with children.
    I like your idea about using puppets to talk about different countries and places. Perhaps you could set the scenario of what they would do if a new child joined their class from a different country and talk about how you felt when you were new to Japan.
    I know you said you can't use ICT but you could get some ideas from the strangers powerpoint on the go-givers website.
    www.gogivers.org.
    You have to register but it is free.
    Another idea you could try is giving them an unusual setting picture to look at and they could build an idea of who the characters would be, what would happen there etc. Maybe a warped tree or a strange castle?
    Best of luck.

4. Wow! Thank you! The strangers powerpoint is great. It has given me lots of good ideas.

I could tell the children my story of moving to japan using props; a little suitcase, teddy bear, pictures, make flash cards etc. Do you think it would be ok if I told my own story based on the powerpoint rather than finding a story book?

They could ask me questions about how i felt etc. Then I could ask them if they have ever been to a new country/city and how they felt. put them in pairs and ask them to tell each other their own story.

5. I had a consultant come into my class to do a guided writing session in year 3 once and your ideas of the suitcase reminded me of it.
    She was on her way to our school when a delivery came of her suitcase (which had been lost on a plane journey) and she was in such a rush that she just took it and put it in the car. On her journey to our school she realised that it wasn't her suitcase and asked the children to help her find out who owned it. She opened the suitcase and pulled out different items and the children had to build a description of the type of person that owned it. So in the suitcase was a french dictionary, golf ball, stethescope, books...etc
    The children loved it so much and still talk about it. It did lead on to some fantastic writing - character descriptions. but you could just record ideas on a flipchart as they talk.