1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 interview advice please?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by everyavenue, Apr 15, 2011.

1. everyavenue

everyavenue New commenter

Hi all,
    I have been invited for an interview with a year 1 class and was keen to do a lesson on division/sharing- however, on doing a bit of research it seems that this may be too advanced for them! I have seen a year 3 class doing a similar lesson to the one I had in mind.
    I was thinking of introducing them to the topic using paper cups and sticking within the 2x table (whilst asking the children to take part) so it would be very practical and hands on.
    The NC states that the introduction of division is a level 2 objective and should be reached within KS1 but am now wondering if this should be aimed more at a year 2 class?
    Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

2. division is something i cover at the end of year 1 so be aware that they may not have a clue what you are talking about. Try not to teach anything too 'new' for them as you could end up finding a class of blank faces staring back at you. Best to choose something you know year 1 will have covered and build upon it or create a problem solving activity/game...then you won't have the children saying they've done it already

3. Will you actually be teaching year one's? I only ask because for my recent interview for a year 1 position they observed me with the current reception children who will actually be in the class in September....

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It isn't our school, but this would definitely be much more a year 2 topic. Our year 1s would look at you blankly if you mentioned the 2x table.

But then again, if the interview is in a high achieving school where most children leave year 6 with a level 5 in maths you might be ok. Do a bit of research and then decide.

5. everyavenue

everyavenue New commenter

Thanks for your responses. I've looked carefully at the school and it's good but in a area of social deprivation with children of mixed backgrounds. I've written another plan based on counting in 2's and working out simple addition problems in a context- using pairing socks to help.
    Do you think this is a more achievable lesson plan? safer option for an interview? Has some practical elements so that children can actually see and take part too.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Personally yes. But I won't be judging!

Counting in 2s seems much more achievable. And you have your division one in your head, so if they turn out to be baby Einsteins you can always swap to that one!

Best of luck and let us know how it went.