1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 instructions. Ideas for chn to formumlate instructions for each other to carry out?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Oct 27, 2010.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi everyone. We are starting this unit next week and I am after some ideas for the children to formulate clear single instructions for each other and attempt to follow them?

Any fun ideas please????

2. i have on that i have yet to try in a class....
    how abouit the children make a rope maze in groups of 4 or so (like a mini labrynth) and then they all move around to another groups maze with one of each group blindfolded and the rest of the group have to get the blindfolded member through the maze by giving simple instructions such as turn left, walk forward 3 steps, etc.
    Best used in a hall or outside for room.

3. ohhh bad spelling.... "i have one..." "how about.."[​IMG]

4. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I did biscuit decorating with an older class but you could simplify it by giving them fewer ingredients to decorate their biscuits with. Children decorated a biscuit (icing, sweets etc - it was the end of term!) and then wrote instruction. We took a photo of their original biscuit and then they ate it. Used each other's instructions to decorate another biscuit and then compared it with the original. Motivated the children really well!

5. We made pizza! Worked brilliantly! One pizza per table group. Took us the whole week to talk it through, discuss what to do, actually do it and then write the instructions afterwards. Very successful activity though.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think biscuit decorating is a bit dodgy. Not only do you not get anything tasty to eat at the end of it [let alone something remotely healthy] but surely such activities are too basic for Yr 1?

7. We made little plasticine creatures- from Classworks I think. We also did sandwiches (yes I know, booooring!) but actually it was invaluable and gave us a real insight into the children's different skills- some who were perhaps not very able academically, made the best sandwiches because they had great control of the knife etc- and some who were obviously mollycoddled at home didn't even know how to hold the thing.

8. Oh and some of them genuinely had NO IDEA how to make a sandwich- another life lesson learnt!

9. On supply I was left with the children having to write instructions for tidying the classroom - this included picking all things off floor, putting things in correct places and making sure all chairs were pushed under. Apparently if they could do the instructions for it they would know how to do it each day!

10. I've used various toys to write instructions for for this - last time I did it it was how to work a toy radio controlled car (I have one in my supply bag for some strange reason), further up the school I've gone for things like how to work a nintendo DS.

11. We have written instructions for how to use a beebot...the children took their instructions to reception and read them to the children to give a purpose for their writing. The reception children followed the instructions well and could use the beebots by the time their ict lessons on beebots came round! We are writing instructions for making a fruit salad next!