1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YEAR 1- Information books on the seaside!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissHoney232, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hi all!

So next term, I will be looking at the seaside as a topic- looking at seasides in the past and seasides now.

During this I have 3 weeks to write information booklets... for 2 weeks before this I will be doing a recount - diary of what someone did at the seaside, and 1 week dictionaries using seaside words. After the information booklet unit I will finally do a 2 week unit on poetry on the seaside.
    . In the actual booklet I thought we could have-
    contents page,
    introduction - labelling a picture of an old seaside and new seaside,
    senses@ the seaside- what we can smell, touch, hear etc
    Then maybe animals in the sea?
    Activities at the seaside- then & now

Like I said, I have 3 weeks to do this... as was wondering if anybody had any ideas how best to go around working up to this? In my class I have some very low ability/SEN and on the other hand have a few children who are on G&T register for literacy...

I am an NQT so would appreciate any advice given... many thanks in advance!!

2. Hi all!

So next term, I will be looking at the seaside as a topic- looking at seasides in the past and seasides now.

During this I have 3 weeks to write information booklets... for 2 weeks before this I will be doing a recount - diary of what someone did at the seaside, and 1 week dictionaries using seaside words. After the information booklet unit I will finally do a 2 week unit on poetry on the seaside.
    . In the actual booklet I thought we could have-
    contents page,
    introduction - labelling a picture of an old seaside and new seaside,
    senses@ the seaside- what we can smell, touch, hear etc
    Then maybe animals in the sea?
    Activities at the seaside- then & now

Like I said, I have 3 weeks to do this... as was wondering if anybody had any ideas how best to go around working up to this? In my class I have some very low ability/SEN and on the other hand have a few children who are on G&T register for literacy...

I am an NQT so would appreciate any advice given... many thanks in advance!!

3. Hi, I'm presuming you're in Key Stage One as it's a popular topic for this age group? I did this topic and information texts with my Y2 class last year and used Barnaby Bear at the Seaside (Big Book) and Magic Grandad Seaside (BBC) as our reference points. They really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. Some of the children chose to do an ICT version using 2simple software so you could also plan this in if it's of interest?

Good Luck and Enjoy - it was my favourite topic as we went to the seaside for the day as well!

4. Yes I'm Year 1!

Thank you for the ideas! Will get searching for the book and BBC video?/book?

Thank you!

5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I posted some resources on this topic a while back at https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Seaside-illus-vocab-2-counting-worksheets-6047484/ which may be of help if some of the kids need lots of pictures and simpler work.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooo excellent news...I'm doing this next term as well and have not a huge clue where to start. Great ideas for books, thanks for starting this thread...I'll follow with interest!