1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 ideas for showing that addition can be done in any order??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Feb 27, 2011.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi everyone. I am looking for some fun and practical ideas to teach this but also for some independent activity ideas?
    Would really appreciate any suggestions
    Thanks

2. inq

inq

I have started lessons with taking a few children and splitting them into 2 (different sized) groups. I 've then got teh others to write this as an addition calculation. We then looked at what they'd written, invariably there would be some who had written 3 + 4 and others 4 + 3, I then questionned how this could be right. We counted the children in both ways to prove that it didn't matter as there were still the same 7 children standing at the front.

3. I used a hanger with coloured pegs on it. I basically had 10 pegs on the hanger but separated them into two groups and then I got chn to count pegs and say and write it as a number sentence and then I turned the hanger around to demonstrate to those that find it hard tu nderstand that you will have the same answer. My less able counted the pegs again and realised although the numbers were in a different order this time (due to having turned the hanger around) the answer is still 10.
    We also used buses with tens spaces and chn used counters to experiment how you will always get he same answer and we used paper bowls to separate items into two groups and then the chn can swap the bowls around to write the number sentence the opposite way.
    I have also used towers of cubes and separaed them into two groups and shown how we still have used the same amounts of cubes to make the same total.

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

use dominoes- you can't go wrong with them and when you turn them around, they don't lose any of the spots! unlike cubes that always seem to fall off the desk....................................

5. As a follow up during fruit and milk time I showed my class a number crew video (they think it's such a treat!). It was about adding in any order, kept them quiet for 5 minutes and there was a far too catchy song about how 'adding can be done in any order'. Think it's firmly engrained for most of them now!
    http://www.teachers.tv/series/the-number-crew (think it's the iceburg one)