1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 ideas/advice for famous person topic please...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jul 19, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooo thank you for all of those...much appreciated.

2. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Less initially exciting, but much enjoyed by children was Louis Braille. I used lots of split peas or lentils, and we were lucky enough to have a visit from a blind teenager, a skilled percussionist, who answered all the children's questions with a great sense of humour.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i would be thinking aobut the locality. a google search will surely throw up someoen with local links.
    e.g. Nelson is actually from Norfolk.
    i am all in favour of historical figures, but should we include some more modern personages?
    e.g. explorers, Ranulph Fynes which would add some video interviews etc to your content.
    Maybe even the young women who does all the sailing things that I forget the name of.
    then again I usually look at the date of the work and research from there (birthdays etc) with the internet, you can do almost anyone!

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Sounds good for my Castles topic! Don't suppose you would mind emailing me the story? I'd love to see any planning (not to use as a lesson just for inspiration) if you wouldn't mind?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We were planting a Trafalgar Oak and have a local connection with Admiral Collingwood who took over when Nelson died so agree this is a good idea.
    We also plan to learn about Bobby Shafto this year for that reason.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I wouldn't do Scott because I think the outcome of his story is too sad for Year 1s. A mum spoke to me one morning about her Year 1 son's reading book, which was about Scott. He'd woken up in the night sobbing about the ending. I hadn't chosen the reading book but still felt horribly guilty! Obviously the story is sad and could affect children of any age, but Year 1s are so young, it just seems too early to me.

7. Maya Angelou, Usain Bolt, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Samuel Coleridge Taylor, Barack Obama.....
    Just redressing a certain balance a little....[​IMG]

8. Ellen MacArthur. Excellent idea! [​IMG]

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We read some of The Battle of Marathon written by Elizabeth Barratt Browning when she was just 14 as she was a local lass.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooo thank you for all those ideas...lots to think about.

Another year group is doing Nelson Mandela and another Barrack Obama, so there is a balance across the school...

I wondered about the ending of Scott, maybe a more triumphal expedition would be better.