1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 1 help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by twinklevic, Sep 25, 2015.

1. twinklevic

twinklevic New commenter

After teaching in year 3/4 for my whole teaching career I am now in year 1.... and honestly I am struggling.
    I can't fit anything in! I have support 5 mornings.
    I have to so a guided reading session, 5 readers and a 20 mins phonic lesson everyday. Breaks always end up being half an hour!
    They just are so needy!

any advice is appreciated.... how do you manage? Do it all?

I job share so cross curricular is tricky... eh I do art and science.... so can't do my art in 'topuc'

Thank you

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

They are used to free flow/child initiated/ continuous provision so it's a huge change. It will get better honestly.

3. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

Don't be worried about 'coverage' but concentrate on systems. Year 1 can !

4. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Does your school do any transition in Y1? We do Foundation Style learning until Christmas, slowly building up the more formal lessons through the term. Pays dividends in the end and they are not nearly so shell-shocked! At the moment they are having phonics every day, guided reading once a week and a daily maths and english input followed by related continuous provision.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

When I worked in Year 1 I always found to tricky to fit in individual readers. Phonics and guided reading were timetabled in, so that wasn't too difficult.

6. pinkmarshmallow

pinkmarshmallow New commenter

I am an NQT in year 1 and i am finding it hard to fit everything in too!
    I have gone straight in with the formal type lessons, although i'm thinking this was a mistake now and hat I should have done a more phased approach (will know for next year!)
    I asked for a parent helper, so she comes in to days a week to hear readers - so that takes some pressure off of me!
    I have a guided reading session after break, so hear a group a day and then try and squeeze in the daily readers at least where I can - not always possible though!

7. jenjen-uk

jenjen-uk New commenter

Im teaching year 1 for my third year..it's always a shock to the system when they come up from eyfs!

Play it by ear, see what they can cope with - we follow quite a fixed timetable but incorporate child initiated learning at least once a day. Alter things as needed for your intake. Trouble is, you've still got the curriculum to cover, but they'll soon get used to the routine. Mine are just starting to 'get' year 1 I think.

8. nhg640

nhg640 New commenter

When I do guided reading with a group (we do this first thing when the children come in), my TA hears daily readers and then the other groups do a quiet reading/fine motor/handwriting activity (no marking) for 15 mins then we go into maths. I find this works well for us because as soon as the children come in they have an activity to be getting on with.

The we do maths and then break time, then phonics and literacy (where i do short whole class input then my TA takes a group and I take a group and do focused activity, and 1 group works independently and the last group does ipad spelling activity/continuous provison. It still isn't too late to change to this way or try some sort of carousel, whatever will suit you and your class best.

Year 1 is tricky because they lack independence but as previous poster has said, it gets much easier!!

9. KatKam33

KatKam33 New commenter

I've recently moved from FS into Year 1 and I hate it beyond words. Am seriously considering leaving. Children should be allowed to be children, learning through play. Surely if we want them to write independently, the best way would be to have them write about their own interests? It's all about results and assessments. If I had children of this age I'd seriously consider home schooling or private education. Whilst I appreciate there needs to be a move to more formal learning, why does it have to be so intense? The government has got this so incredibly wrong!
    GIVE THEM TIME TO PLAY ..... PLEASE!