1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 Growing Up Topic?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Notmynormalname, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Our school has just introduced a more creative curriculum where our teaching is based on a theme each half term. I have chosen Growing up for the first term. Has anyone ever done this topic before? What sorts of activities did you do? Are there any books that fit in nicely with it?
    Thanks. x

2. Our school has just introduced a more creative curriculum where our teaching is based on a theme each half term. I have chosen Growing up for the first term. Has anyone ever done this topic before? What sorts of activities did you do? Are there any books that fit in nicely with it?
    Thanks. x

3. I've not done the exact topic before but I have incorporated growing up as a big part of the topic I do - Myself and My world.
    Activities we did last year were:
    - Get parents to send baby photos and take photos now, compare how we have changed. Some parents also sent a photo of themselves too so we could talk about how we think we will change in the future. We also followed up with a piece of writing - When I was a baby.... to write sentences about the comparisons.
    - In the writing area we had pictures of people at different stages of life and activities so the children could write captions about the images.
    - We looked at baby and adult animals and how they grow/ change and move. We looked at how chicks come from eggs etc and humans are born from their mummy amd grow in their tummy (not in depth obviously!!!)
    - We also investigated questions in maths and science such as can bigger ahnds hold more cubes? So we measured them in non standard units, borrowed a few adults and older children to compare to ourselves and found the answers.
    - PSHE we talked about what we want to do when we grow up/ get older. Taking responsibilities and new ones we get as we get older (linked into little red hen).
    - We looked at our changing environment (helped by recent building works!!!!!!), how it chnages through the seasons etc.
    - Sequencing images of people growing up was another activity we did.
    I know I did more but they are in my folder that is in my classroom until I go back in next week!!!! Hope is of some use for you maybe.

Texts we looked at/ will be looking at and using are:
    http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10151&catalogId=18201&langId=100&productId=297167&searchTerm=Joyce%20Dunbar%20
    Little Red Hen ~ PSHE responsibility for our own actions and choices as we get older, also links with literacy for stories with patterned language.
    This is the Baby that got all the blame
    Charlie and Lola books we found were great for exploring relationships and how we are different as we get older etc.

4. Wow! This is great!
    Thank you so much, you have given me some excellent ideas!
    Thanks for your time.
    :0) x

5. Read Peter Pan! :)

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

I have some planning in resources section called 'This is me' - might have some useful ideas to get you started.