1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 - fun ideas for teaching subtraction facts of ten

Discussion in 'Primary' started by erialcrobo, Feb 6, 2011.

1. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can give me some ideas of how to introduce this in a fun way?

Thanks

2. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can give me some ideas of how to introduce this in a fun way?

Thanks

3. inq

inq

Eating Smarties?
    Probably not good for a whole class but as an introduction of I've got 10 Smarties and Johnny comes and takes 2 away to eat when he gets home (obviously none of us would ever consider letting a child eating such a dangerous thing in school!!) how many are left.

4. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Lol Thanks ing!
    Anyone any ideas for activties?

5. inq

inq

We have got them playing games in pairs where there are 10 counters, 1 shuts their eyes and the other takes some of the counters, the child opens their eyes and says how many have been taken by counting on from the number left or drawing dots and rubbing out the number left. they can then work out how to write the whole calculation if you want them to.

6. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Thanks again ing- I like that game![​IMG]
    Anyone else any suggestions?

7. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

8. I've used the image of people on a bus before. There are so many people on a bus. The bus stops and so many people get off. How many are left? You can show the children a picture of a bus and use counters as the people getting on/ off the bus. The children can then have their own bus pictures and counters at their tables. They make up their own stories about people getting on/ off the bus and show a subtraction sentence to explain the story.

This idea also works really well with addition if you have a double decker bus image. Show some people on the top deck and some people on the bottom deck using counters. The children make up addition sentences by adding the bottom deck people to the top deck people.

This has worked really well for me in year 1. Hope it helps.