1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 1 fun ideas for teaching months of the year?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocciemad, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hi , I am teaching months of the year this week to Y1. I would like soemthing a litle more practical than just ordering months. Does anyone have any ideas how I could make this objective a little more exciting ?
    Many Thanks

2. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

3. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

I am covering time too!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Give 12 of them a label with a month on it and ask the rest to sort them out. Then swap over.

Depends on their ability, you could add in pictures of seasons etc.

Get each pair to make a picture showing what happens in that month (December xmas, November Bonfire night, October Halloween, September my birthday, etc, etc). Then display the pictures in order.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. I find they always enjoy it more when it focusses on birthdays. They usually like to see whose birthday is first, last etc
    We also talk about what they associate with each month of the year, then they find pictures in newspapers, catalogues and on the internet to cut out which they think represent each month of the year.
    They then create month collages - you might find these resources useful > http://displays.tpet.co.uk/#/search/birthday

These are the boards I use for the collages http://displays.tpet.co.uk/#/viewPost/id294
    Hope this helps
    Christina [​IMG]

7. I've chanted the months with my class and as we chant we put the following actions with each month:
    January (rub arms as if cold)
    February (blow a kiss for Valentine's Day)
    March (march on the spot)
    April (make an Easter egg shape with both hands)
    May (turn round in a circle pretending to hold a maypole ribbon)
    June (wipe forehead as if hot)
    July (jog on spot for sport's day)
    August (arms out like an aeroplane - going on holiday)
    September (stand up straight like back at school)
    October (hold hands in a witches hat shape on top of head)
    November (whizz one hand into the air like a rocket on Bonfire night)
    December (make a beard gesture with one hand like Father Christmas)

I know some of the actions are a bit naff and tenuous but my class have enjoyed it!! I've then done other stuff like ordering the months, making a seasons wheel with the months on it, talking about birthdays etc. 'One Year with Kipper' is a nice book too.
    [​IMG]

sallyonholiday likes this.
  8. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

I taught my Y1's this song to sing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enDRrWyXaw

They really enjoyed it and still haven't forgotten the months of the year :)

They also played a game where the children sit in a circle, teacher rolls a ball to a child and they have to say the first month, child rolls ball to next child and they say Feb etc etc.

9. The Mick Inkpen book 'A year with Kipper' is a really lovely way to teach this- we acted out some of the things in the book, took pictures and made our own 'A year with..' book.
    I like the actions song BTW- my class love songs so will try this next time [​IMG]

10. Absolutely amazing! Thank you guys so much! Great ideas![​IMG]

11. We made seasons wheels - split a circle into 4 sections for each season, write the months around the edge of the circle within the right season, draw/collage a picture to go with each season, then split pin through the middle to attach it to a piece of card behind with an arrow.

12. We play a circle game one person in the middle, everyone else walking round chanting the months. Stop at December and shout calendar calendar whats the month. Person in the middle shouts a month and they all run away and middle person chases. Caught person goes in the middle and start again.

13. munap_h

munap_h New commenter

Carrotcat I did the same game but with a little twist. Group of 13, 12 learners wears the month of the year on them. This time the calendar boy / girl will shout the month. Eg: October, she will need to look for the friend wearing October. Great way for learners to identify months of the year. They even came up with a modified version where the months called out stays in the middle and they discuss collaboratively which month is left standing outside. (LOL)